Bump up lift capacity of L3400/LA463 Loader

/ Bump up lift capacity of L3400/LA463 Loader #1  

Goog

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
I really like my tractor except that the loader is kind of weak. I would like to know if anyone has increased the relief valve pressure by adding shims to the relief spring?

My salesman told me Kubota builds in a pretty safe cushion on there hydraulics and in my shop manual it looks pretty easy to do. They even list three different shims and tell you approx. pressure increase per mm thickness.

I am a not trying to lift the earth but looking a little more lift power without trading up to a larger tractor. Now that you can get the L4400 HST that would be my choice but it was not when I got my L3400.

Thanks for any input, Brian

/ Bump up lift capacity of L3400/LA463 Loader #2  
I have the same tractor and bumped mine up a couple of weeks ago from 1450psi to 1750psi. I highly recomend you buy a wet gauge to measure so you don't end up damaging something.

/ Bump up lift capacity of L3400/LA463 Loader
Have you used it to see if you can tell any difference? Also do you remeber how much shim was there and how much you added? Last, I have not looked but where did you tap in with your gauge? Thank You, Brian

/ Bump up lift capacity of L3400/LA463 Loader #4  
Yes, I can certainly tell the difference. Mine had two shims and I went to our local hardware and got a washer the same size as the thicker shim. I put a quick coupler on the wet gauge and plugged it in to any of the four for your loader connections. Actually the loader was not attached at the time. Just select that function and hold it for a second and the pressure will max out and begin to relieve itself. I do believe our machines come set at the low end of it's capability. You just don't want to run it too high. Let us know how you make out. The valve is so easily accessible you can make a change in five minutes.

/ Bump up lift capacity of L3400/LA463 Loader
Thank You Wayne. I think I have a gauge at work and will do a test before I change anything. I hope you are right about these being on the low side. I am anxious to see what my pressure is.

I went out and looked and I see what you mean about easy. Relief is right out in the open.

Thanks again, Brian

/ Bump up lift capacity of L3400/LA463 Loader #6  
Thank You Wayne. I think I have a gauge at work and will do a test before I change anything. I hope you are right about these being on the low side. I am anxious to see what my pressure is.

I went out and looked and I see what you mean about easy. Relief is right out in the open.

Thanks again, Brian
You should be safe for the system up to at least 2000psi. Im running 2200 in my L3450. My Mahindra is std at 2700.
larry

/ Bump up lift capacity of L3400/LA463 Loader #7  
PLEASE, PICTURES!!!! I would like to have just "a bit more" capacity too.

/ Bump up lift capacity of L3400/LA463 Loader #8  
hey folks,
I don't have the shop manual.. and I am not asking anyone to post it..
but I would really like some pics as to where to place these washers...

Thanks!

Jim

/ Bump up lift capacity of L3400/LA463 Loader #9  
I would be really interested also... pics make it so much easier (or I guess I should say quicker). Goog... this would be a great "how to do it" procedure with photos if you do decide to make a change on yours. I know it would be appreciated by many L3400 users on here...

/ Bump up lift capacity of L3400/LA463 Loader #10  
The hydraulic block is under your right foot. If you are on your back(creeper is nice) looking up at it you will see what looks like a drain plug. This is the valve. When you take it out you could actually drain your fluid slowly so have something to catch it and put the plug back in as soon as you take a look at the spring and shim washers that are between the plug base and spring. I had to use a scrib to pull my shims from the plug base. It was just laying there in fluid. The shim can be a small washer. Thickness is the key and a gauge is something you really want to use to make sure you are not going to damage your machine. Measure pressure before and after as described above. Please post your results!