L4240 Safety feature issues.

/ L4240 Safety feature issues. #1  

Brahmus

Silver Member
Maybe I !need to eat more. But now having a bit more seat time on the L I have found a few quirks.

Today I got in a bind and needed to lock the dif, when I step on the lock my butt lifts off the seat and when I press the HST pedal the tractor kills. Trying to balance everything proves near impossible. Is there an easy way to bypass this? It's a cab tractor I don't think I really need this feature!

Another safety quirk I have, the JD 3520 eHydro didn't require me pressing the clutch to start the tractor. I liked that. It's a bit bothersome sometimes when I just want to reach into the L and start it but am required to depress the clutch. Is there a bypass for that?

/ L4240 Safety feature issues. #2  
Yes, you can bypass the seat safety, but nobody is going to tell you that just by taking it out and using a plastic zip tie to hold it down will make it think there is always a butt in the can. You see that is a safety device, so nobody is going to tell you how to bypass it, even though you would be doing it knowing full well that you were putting your self into harms way. You and you alone would be responsible for any harm that befell anyone or anything as a result of bypassing a safety! Nope, no sir-e-bob, nobody is going to tell you how to do that!

The clutch switch is under there somewhere, I rather think you may need to press it down to disengage the hydro pump. Or the starter may turn too slow to start the engine.

/ L4240 Safety feature issues.
Darn, to bad no one will tell me. But I can understand, it todays world, if I bypass it, then get hurt, by todays standards they'll endup with a law suit, go figure!

Didn't think about that for the clutch. It was just a nice feature on the JD not to have to press the clutch to start the tractor. I'll see what happens.

/ L4240 Safety feature issues. #4  
There should be a small locking device behind the clutch pedal that will hold it in the depressed position. This is normally used for long term storage situations to keep the clutch open.
I had a service tech working on my L3940 and saw him do this. It was very handy to not to have to get on the tractor or walk around to that side to depress the clutch.

/ L4240 Safety feature issues. #5  
Yes, you can bypass the seat safety, but nobody is going to tell you that just by taking it out and using a plastic zip tie to hold it down will make it think there is always a butt in the can. You see that is a safety device, so nobody is going to tell you how to bypass it, even though you would be doing it knowing full well that you were putting your self into harms way. You and you alone would be responsible for any harm that befell anyone or anything as a result of bypassing a safety device! Nope, no sir-e-bob, nobody is going to tell you how to do that!

The clutch switch is under there somewhere, I rather think you may need to press it down to disengage the hydro pump. Or the starter may turn too slow to start the engine.

This only applies to the Manufacturer and dealer and is only available to the original purchaser where it stops.
The original purchaser is under no obligation to subsequent purchasers as such laws do not apply to individuals.
Only Dealers and Manufactures have to comply with such laws = Not individuals and private partys.
L B

/ L4240 Safety feature issues. #6  
This only applies to the Manufacturer and dealer and is only available to the original purchaser where it stops
The original purchaser is under no obligation to subsequent purchasers as such laws do not apply to individuals.
Only Dealers and Manufactures have to comply with such laws = Not individuals and private partys.

Is that coming from a Canadian or from an American? In America, lawsuits don't need to have merit to be filed and defending yourself from a spurious lawsuit can still break you. That's why I wouldn't tell him how to do it.

jb