L4400 Hood Will Not Raise

/ L4400 Hood Will Not Raise #1  

Trainer

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson 220-4
I have a L4400 and have a hard time raising the hood. Took it to the dealer to get the hood up so I can change the oil. The hood latch works but acts like something is binding the hood. Had to get it off of the hinges at the rear and then it would raise. The mechanic could not find anything wrong. Oiled the latch and hinges. Hauled the tractor home and next day the hood would not come up. I slid it off the hinges and was able to raise. I removed the hinged rod that holds up the hood. I have not raised the hood since I removed the hinged rod.

Anyone have problem raising the hood on their tractor, especially the L4400? If so, what was the problem?

/ L4400 Hood Will Not Raise #2  
Sounds like the hinges are not mounted correctly. Dealer needs to fix it since it's a warranty thing.

/ L4400 Hood Will Not Raise #3  
The latch may be misaligned. Mine works fine, so I don't think it's an inherent problem with the L4400. These alignment issues can be frustrating, because you can't get at the latch when you need to, unless it's open, then you can't see where it needs to be moved. Can you train a little mouse to help you?
simonmeridew

/ L4400 Hood Will Not Raise #4  
I have not had an issue opening the hood...but closing is alot harder than it should be....any ideas:confused:

/ L4400 Hood Will Not Raise #5  
I had the same problem with my L4400. What is happening is the hinged hood support which folds in half when it is in the closed position is sagging at almost a 45 degree instead of staying in a horizontal positionl when closed. I found this out by taking off the black side panel and sticking my arm under the hood. I would close the hood slow and the hood support bar stayed level if you dropped it down hard it would sag down. I would reach under and lift it up leved again while the hood was still closed and it would open fine. If I pulled it down at a 45 it would get stuck and not open. What is happening is the hood support is sagging and not allowing the hood support to hinge like it should. I took a small iron rod and bent it in an upsidedown L shape with an eye on the end that I bolted to the bracket that holds the water overflow bottle bend it so that its just on top of the radiator hose so that when the hood is closed the hood support rests on top of the rod I bent so it stays level and works just fine now.

/ L4400 Hood Will Not Raise #6  
I think the metal they used in the support is too thin. they should beef it up a little and it wouldn't be so flimsy
simonmeridew

/ L4400 Hood Will Not Raise #7  
I had the same problem with mine, and put a big dent in the middle of the hood!! Be careful trying to force it!! The dealer got me a new hood, and installed a bracket that keeps the prop rod from dropping past 90 degrees, as said in a previous post here. It was an angled brace, attached to the motor. I was told the problem was from the new radiator screen...