Cutting edge versus tooth bar for B21

/ Cutting edge versus tooth bar for B21 #1  

BruceWard

Platinum Member
I have a box blade and rock rake available as soon as I can find 3 point arms for my B21.

I am about to start cleaning up after a bulldozer on a 4 acre lot. There will be a 600' x 16' driveway and a 200' x 200' yard. The dozer will have pushed the trees over. Several guys want the trees for firewood. I will have to clean up the brush. There are rocks ranging from fist size to several feet across on top of the ground. The dirt becomes slate about 3' deep.

I recognize the larger rocks can not be handled by the B21 and many of them will stay.

I want to finish the yard and driveway with the B21.

Would you buy a tooth bar, or a cutting edge or use the bucket as is? Please explain why you would go with a certain option as I am new at this.

Thanks

/ Cutting edge versus tooth bar for B21 #2  
I have rented a B21 before with just the regular 60" bucket. It cannot dig in rocks or compacted compost or clay. Get a toothbar. I have one on my JD2320 (sorry I'm in the wrong forum by accident). The toothbar can dig easily in hard clay and rocks. The cutting edge will not be able to pry out rocks any better than the regular bucket edge. the teeth on a toothbar are realy strong and you can really pry at things with them with no fear of damage. You end up with a reinforced bucket edge on top of it because the steel runs the full length. In addition, you can effectively dig deeper in one pass because the teeth stick out. Also it extends the bottom of the bucket like a shelf, making it easier to carry things like logs that don';t fit in the bucket. I have a clamp-on toothbar made by Rankin. Bolt-on may be more common, but I have never had any issue with the clamp-on style. It uses locking allen screws to hold it in place.

/ Cutting edge versus tooth bar for B21 #3  
Bruce I put a tooth bar on my B21 eight years ago to help with the FEL’s ability to dig in our rocky clay soil. Figured it comes off with two bolts so I could easily remove it when I needed to. I have never taken it off. Bet you can guess what I think you should get.

I know you recently got your B21 and besides the tooth bar the other thing that made a dramatic change for me was filling the tires with water and anti freeze for ballast. Day and night difference in traction and stability. Do a search and you will find numbers of posts on how it is done.

MarkV

/ Cutting edge versus tooth bar for B21 #4  
Tooth bar is the way to go. They are not much money $150-$250 and are well worth it. When you put it on you will wonder how you did any work without it.

Also make sure you get one that has replaceable teeth