Chains Winter is coming...L3240 Tire Chains

/ Winter is coming...L3240 Tire Chains #1  

botayota

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3240Hst
Anyone here run tire chains on their Bota especially in the winter?
Looking for some reccomendations? Thoughts,ideas.

From what I understand probably shouldn't have chains on all four tires...one guy told me only use front chains, while some preferr rear. This winter I'll be using my tractor for the very 1st time, will be just using the FEL to move/push piles of snow. I've got a plow on my Jeep. Next winter I might consider a snow thrower on the L3240.

/ Winter is coming...L3240 Tire Chains #2  
Good question. I've just purchased a L3240 and am looking at getting a SnowBlower so am wondering as well. I guess it depends on the thread you have. I have IND. All level ground, no hills.

/ Winter is coming...L3240 Tire Chains #3  
I have a 5030 and a 5740 that are both used for commercial snowblowing and plowing. I don't use chains, 4wd is used a lot with no problems.

/ Winter is coming...L3240 Tire Chains
I also have IND, guess I'll just go chain-less this winter and see if I have any issues. My driveway is a relatively flat 600 feet except up near the rode where I have a hill.

/ Winter is coming...L3240 Tire Chains #5  
I think that when we discuss snow removal, its kind of like talking about boats. A 40 footer looks big until its parked next to a CVN. Some folks think that clearing 2 feet of snow is big snow.

I plow miles of snow at 3300+ EL. During some seven day periods I have plowed 50 hours in addition to other ranch chores.

Trial and error on my L5030/Curtis 7.5 snowplow/Loftness 841S Blower has provided the following setup:

Tires/Wheels set to the widest possible position, Chains (H on back, V bar on front) on R1 tires, Rim Guard in the rears.

Weight and chains equal traction, and I have used both R4's and R1's; in my experience the R1's with chains (all 4 wheels) are superior in almost all fashions for traction. I never get down to road surface until spring so I am usually plowing on hard-packed snow and ice.

TractorByNet.com Photo Gallery - Snow

/ Winter is coming...L3240 Tire Chains #6  
You certainly don't need chains with a snow blower, plowing might be a different story. I haven't seen anyone around here using chains for plowing however.

Here is my plowing rig, as you can see we gets lots of snow:

Right-quarter-panel-Kubota-.jpg

/ Winter is coming...L3240 Tire Chains #7  
I think that when we discuss snow removal, its kind of like talking about boats. A 40 footer looks big until its parked next to a CVN. Some folks think that clearing 2 feet of snow is big snow.

I plow miles of snow at 3300+ EL. During some seven day periods I have plowed 50 hours in addition to other ranch chores.

RFB,
I agree with you. I'm also from Idaho and snow is a relative issue depending on amount, general type of snow, elevation, slopes, grades, distance of plowing, etc.

Last year was one heck of a snow year in Idaho. I have a mile of paved private road on a mountain-side before I reach the county road. I have to deal with grades of up to 12 percent. No chains for me would be insane and unsafe.

My set-up is nearly the same as yours. Chains (3/8" ladder) on all four R4 tires. All four wheels are weighted with beet juice. I use a BoDozer by Borgford Manufacturing that quick-attaches to the FEL (which allows for stacking snow) and have a Buhler Farm King Snowblower on the rear. At one point last year we had nearly 7 feet on snow on the ground. I don't mind plowing, but that was just too much.

Six-way Blade

Buhler

/ Winter is coming...L3240 Tire Chains #8  
We have a B1750 with turf tires purchased from a dealer back in the early 90's. They said it was OK to to run chain's on all 4 tires...but ya have to keep them tight and try and stay off the roads with 'em.

When we knock the snow banks down from the road the chains are a lifesaver...cause I'm not stuck on the road spinning wheels etc in traffic.

Never take 'em off and we're on our 3rd set now. If you're thinking of using chains get some monkey links and those 6" rubber tie straps and keep 'em in the tractors tool box. Broken chains have to be attended to right away...but it's a quick fix.

/ Winter is coming...L3240 Tire Chains #9  
I live in Central IL and realize the snow here is not even close to the levels you deal with....but everything is relative. Just bought new tractor and am sorting out this same question. For years I ran a B7100 gear with turfs and chains on all four pushing a snow blower. Couldn't have kept driveway clear with out chains. Entire rig did not weigh very much compared to newer tractor. My experience dictates you will need chains on all four. Without chains on front you will have a real hard time going anywhere but straight ahead. I like RFB's comment on using the V-Chains in front...this you would be very helpful. I also think that with the larger tactors and Ag Tires the need for chain would diminish.

Just bought B2920 and old snow blower will not work with it. I know I will need chains with the turf tires I have installed and am tring to figure out if I an handle the small amounts of snow we get with the fel or need to plunge into a new blower. I am also weighing whether or not it makes more sense to purchase another set of tires and rims for my dirt and snow work.

/ Winter is coming...L3240 Tire Chains #10  
Turf tires without chains used in conjunction with a snowblower is very effective-much more than one would think.