Totally confused--12K trailer Class A license

/ Totally confused--12K trailer Class A license #1  

chuckcou

I am looking at a 12K trailer. It has been rumored I will need a class A license. My state is california.
I have been told I can derate the trailer or get a class A license?

I understand the derate part, but the class A part is really confusing. DMV is no help at all!!!!
Question--Do I need a class A license? With trailer and load, I will be at about 9K.
What is envolved in having a trailer that is 12K? Do I have to have it inspected each year? Are the fees higher? Is insurance more expensive? (PS. I am not doing this for hire)
What is envolved in getting a class A drivers license? Is it expensive? Is the driving test hard(or do I even have a driving test)?

Any thing you know about a class A license would be really helpful to me because right now I know nothing!!!!

Thanks for you help
Chuck

/ Totally confused--12K trailer Class A license #2  
Yes in California if your trailer is over 10K you are supposed to have a Noncommercial Class A drivers license to tow your own trailer. This license requires a medical certificate, written test, and driving test. If your trailer is a 5th wheel or gooseneck you can get an endorsement on a regular class C which is easier. The CA DMV has an online booklet on their web site that you can download with all the requirements for the Noncommercial Class A license.

John

/ Totally confused--12K trailer Class A license #3  
Unfortunately I don't have the California website, but here's the Washington State DOL site that describes when you need a Commercial Vehicle License (CDL) in Washington for different combinations. WA State Licensing: Vehicles requiring a CDL In Washington, you only need a CDL with a trailer over 10K if the combined rating for the truck and trailer is over 26K. That's from the website. I know I'm in Washington and you're in California, but it would be worth asking if you need the class A license for the combination of truck and trailer you'll be towing. Makes a difference here. Hope this helps.

/ Totally confused--12K trailer Class A license #5  
If you get a class A license I think you will have to maintain it periodicly... med exam, new written, extra fees etc. I know I did...the usual BS with the state of CA.

Since our fair state is about to belly up just getting the appointments is a PITA.You mention something about "derating" the trailer, if that is a feasable option in your case you might think about that.

Good Luck. Paul

/ Totally confused--12K trailer Class A license #6  
I am looking at a 12K trailer. It has been rumored I will need a class A license. My state is california.
I have been told I can derate the trailer or get a class A license?

I understand the derate part, but the class A part is really confusing. DMV is no help at all!!!!

CA DMV no help? I'm shocked. :rolleyes:

/ Totally confused--12K trailer Class A license #7  
Try NY!! It'll take 5x as long.........

/ Totally confused--12K trailer Class A license #8  
Try NY!! It'll take 5x as long.........

but it will only cost 2/3s as much, which will still be 2x what the other states charge.

A Noncommercial Class A license is required if you tow:

* a travel trailer weighing over 10,000 lbs. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) which is not used for hire.
what is defined as a travel trailer??? if that is only a RV, you wont need a class A for a bumper pull tractor hauling trailer.

Aaron Z

/ Totally confused--12K trailer Class A license #9  
Unless you need to gross (trailer+load) over the 10k limit then I would definitely derate the trailer. Maintaining a class A is just another hassle that you don't need unless you need it to make your living.

/ Totally confused--12K trailer Class A license #10  
You don't need any special license just because you have a 12K trailer. You need a special license if you plan to actually load it up and tow 12K of trailer. You said you are planning on towing 9K. If that's the total load you are towing, then you are legal with a regular driver license.