Ballast 3-Pt hitch does not lower Ballast Box all the way

/ 3-Pt hitch does not lower Ballast Box all the way #1  

splotkin

Tractor
Kubota BX1850
I have the B8160-BALLAST BOX which I just installed on my BX1850. I had to put the ballast box on a couple of 2x4's. otherwise the 3-pt hitch arms would not go low enough to hook it up. Is the hitch installed by the dealer or the factory? This is the same dealer that installed one of the loader bracket bolts backwards so it scored the front drive shaft.

Is it possible the upper arms were installed one spline or two off with the arms too high?

If so, it looks like there is a cir-clip on the end of the splined shaft holding the arm on. I assume I can remove the retaining clip and reposition the hitch arm so it is lower in the down position.

I have the service manual on order but does anyone know the official spec for installing the 3-pt hitch arms?

Thanks,
Scott

/ 3-Pt hitch does not lower Ballast Box all the way #2  
Scott,

There should be two holes on your lift arms - and the lift rods can be connected into either hole. If the rods are connected to the holes that are furthest from the tractor you will get less overall movement of the 3ph - both up and down. You can move the rods to the holes that are closer to the tractor and get more motion.

/ 3-Pt hitch does not lower Ballast Box all the way #3  
Yeah your dealer didn't mess that up. Those arms are meant to be adjustable.

Sure it needs to be lower (at rest) for your ballast box but it may need to be set higher for say a box blade and maybe somewhere in between for something else.

Actually all those adjustments are the real beauty of the system....it means you aren't locked into just one position.

/ 3-Pt hitch does not lower Ballast Box all the way #4  
I would vote for the leave it as is option too and just keep the small pieces of 2x4's. More ground clearance for the box and all the implements you put on the 3ph. My home made ballast box requires some blocking when I take it off the tractor, but I built it that way for the above mentioned reason.