L3240 HST -power/ rpms

/ L3240 HST -power/ rpms #1  

digdug1

Tractor
Kubota L3240
I recently purchased a 3240 with 724 fel. It seems relatively weak until the RPMs reach about 2000. When lifting and pushing at the same time you can easily stall the tractor unless rpms are high. At low rpm the tractor seems to struggle with very simple tasks (going up a hill). I take very good care of my equipment and try to run it at the lowest rpm possible. I usually operate the tractor in medium range and flip between turtle and rabbit depending on the load. I dont like having to rev the engine all the time just to do relatively easy tasks. I am looking for feedback from other 3240 or 3130 owners. What RPM do you normally operate the tractor at when using the fel? What range? Is it normal to use more rpms on a HST machine? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

/ L3240 HST -power/ rpms #2  
I have a new l3940hst and was brush cutting w/ it for the first time last weekend. The first thing I noted was that it didn't like hills. Even a mild slope would require quite a bit more throttle. When asked my first impressions, I said I wish I had 10 more hp.

I was trying to take it e z during the break in and kept the r's about 2000 to 2200.

And I have the rattling chain syndrome when going down a hill at speed.

/ L3240 HST -power/ rpms #3  
I have a 2007 L3940 HST. I cut pastures with a Woods PRD8400 (7' wide). At 540 pto rpm I'm running about 2600 engine rpm. The tractor will do this ALL DAY LONG and it is designed to run at that rpm all day long. That's it's optimum power band range. I do this in medium range on the tranny.
When I use the FEL I tend to use the automatic throttle control. That's the setting that ties the HST peddle with the throttle. Medium range as well on the tranny.
When I'm operating the Woods BHX-90 backhoe I set the throttle to about 2500 rpm for optimum digging force.
These tractors are designed to RUN. Don't be afraid of some rpm's :D

/ L3240 HST -power/ rpms #4  
I have a L3130 DT and in light clipping, with a 5 Sqealer Bush Hog. I cut in 2 gear high. I guess you would say 6 gear around 2000 rpms.

As far as loader work, my loader works as well a little above idle as full throttle.

/ L3240 HST -power/ rpms #5  
I have an L3240 hst and agree with Happyman. The machines are made to be run up in the rpm's.
For bushhogging and such I run the tractor up around 2200 rpm and don't have any issues. I always run with the stall guard and auto hst on. I only use the auto throttle when doing simple driving around.
For bucket work I've found that keeping the rpms around 1900 up is best and all is fine.
I never had a tractor that could be worked with the thing running at idle. :rolleyes:

/ L3240 HST -power/ rpms #6  
One other point. I use 4wd when operating the FEL. This helps a great deal with the pushing force when digging or moving dirt/gravel from piles.
And I'm with SCtractorguy...I always have the tractor on auto HST and stall guard. I set it there when I got the tractor and have never changed it.

/ L3240 HST -power/ rpms #7  
I wondered about this too when I first got my tractor...but the point is that you don't want to do any 'work' under 2000 RPM. My tractor only has 3 cylinders so it needs the RPM to build HP. For driving on flat with no load I usually run about 1800.

/ L3240 HST -power/ rpms #8  
I was told you never want to lug a diesel engine.

/ L3240 HST -power/ rpms
It is good to know that rpms are no problem for this machine. When I keep them up around 2000 the tractor does seem quite powerful. I was just trying to be good to the machine by keeping rpms around 1500 or less. Thanks for all the input!!!

/ L3240 HST -power/ rpms #10  
It is good to know that rpms are no problem for this machine. When I keep them up around 2000 the tractor does seem quite powerful. I was just trying to be good to the machine by keeping rpms around 1500 or less. Thanks for all the input!!!

Yea man, don't worry about the rpm's. Crank it up.......
You own a 'BOTA :D