Hydraulic hook ups

/ Hydraulic hook ups #1  

dodge man

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 2025R
I saw in an old post where someone had hooked up a log splitter to the FEL hydraulics of a BX1500. He said he hooked in directly to the FEL ports without anything else. In my mind these ports are dead until you move the joystick to pump fluid to them. Am I wrong on how the hydraulics work on these ports?

/ Hydraulic hook ups #2  
I saw in an old post where someone had hooked up a log splitter to the FEL hydraulics of a BX1500. He said he hooked in directly to the FEL ports without anything else. In my mind these ports are dead until you move the joystick to pump fluid to them. Am I wrong on how the hydraulics work on these ports?

I suppose there are 2 ways to hook up to the FEL ports.

1. Run through valve also located on Log Splitter then bungy the joystick open.

2. Run the ports directly to the cylinder and use the joystick to operate the cylinder. Kind of hard to hold the log and operate though.

/ Hydraulic hook ups #3  
spk 64,

THe best and cleanest hookup is to go the loader valve and find the port marked "PB" - power beyond - and find that hose. If should go from the loader valve to the top cover on your tractor. On the BX with one pump it may go back to tank only.

Take it to a hydraulic shop that makes hoses and have them cut it, crimp on new fittings where you can install a male and female quick couplers. They should be where they are accessible when the hose is back on the tractor.

For the splitter, have them build you two hoses - to and from - your open center splitter valve. They should have a matching set of male and female couplers for the PB hose you had modified.

When you need to split wood, you are installing the splitter in series with the loader valve and top cover. When you are just doing tractor work, it is back to normal but can be easily installed on the splitter.

Good luck!

/ Hydraulic hook ups
I called my Kubota dealer and I can order a kit to hook up a remote to the back for $355. Thats what I will probably end up doing. I would end up spending more time and maybe almost as much money trying to rig it up my self. Thanks for the answers.

/ Hydraulic hook ups #5  
I called my Kubota dealer and I can order a kit to hook up a remote to the back for $355. Thats what I will probably end up doing. I would end up spending more time and maybe almost as much money trying to rig it up my self. Thanks for the answers.

Dodge Man
Not sure if this is the post you read.
3 pt on BX1500

With a 4" cylinder it will be a little slow. ~ 20-30 Seconds to fully extend a 24" cylinder. I just did the same thing with my BX24 using the rear remotes. Pump output is 3.7 GPM.
Had plenty of power just slow. Fortunately I had picked up a PTO pump for less than $100. Now the splitter works plenty fast and the tractor is running just above idle.

/ Hydraulic hook ups
Yeah the was the post I had read. I don't know that I understood how you made it work through the FEL hook ups. Did you somehow lock your joy stick over to one side?

/ Hydraulic hook ups #7  
Yeah the was the post I had read. I don't know that I understood how you made it work through the FEL hook ups. Did you somehow lock your joy stick over to one side?

I actually used the rear remotes normally used for the backhoe these are power beyond ports.

I have read many other post of other users using the FEL and a bungy cord to hold the joy stick open. here is one that covers it in more detail. With the stick locked open fluid will be going out one port and the other port will return to the tank via the power beyond circuit.

With the stick locked back you would hook the port that would have fluid flowing out and connect to the in on your log splitter valve. The out on the log splitter valve goes to the return line for the port you are using for pressure.
The lift or curl ports could be used and the corresponding direction on the joy stick locked open.

Just make sure it is not locked in the float position as you will not have any pressure. The other item is making sure that the 3 point is not used while the FEL ports are running through the log splitter valve with the stick locked open. Might blow a seal in the LOG splitter valve if this happens.

/ Hydraulic hook ups
Well I bought a log splitter last night. An 18 ton with a 6.5 hp engine. With 4 gallons of hydraulic fluid and tax, it was about $850. I really wanted to get one hooked up to mb BX2350, but I was looking at about $1000 to do it, and I am not sure it would have worked as good as the stand alone I bought.