New power beyond valve versus hydraulic selector valve

/ New power beyond valve versus hydraulic selector valve #1  

Rockyridge

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
I am considering adding top n tilt and am considering installing couple of 12 volt hydraulic selector valves instead of additional power beyond valve.
Each of these hydraulic selector valves can redirect fluid to and from one cylinder to a different cylinder with a 12 volt switch. I would need 2 hydraulic selector valves to change lift and dump cylinders to top and tip cylinders.
The 12 volt switch would change from front operation (raise loader and dump bucket) to rear (T-N-T)
How often do you need both (FEL & T-N-T) active at the same time? Realistically I can not see how you could use both at the same time.
Does anyone know how quickly do these hydraulic selector valves work? Do they work well in cold weather like minus 10 degrees?

I would anticipate mounting the hydraulic selector valves on a bracket just below the FEL joy stick and use all quick disconnects. Possibly mounting a fabricated bracket using the FEL mounting bolts or maybe fabricate a bracket that clamps the round FEL mount.

One of the things that I like with method is leaving the original hydraulic system completely intact with no modification except redirecting the output from the FEL joy stick using quick disconnects. No cutting into the original system.

The hydraulic selector valve that I am considering is the product 9-6865 from Surplus Center (a TBN vendor). I will try to attach a link to it. That valve supports control of three sets of cylinders.

Burden Sales Surplus Center Item Detail

Cost looks like it would be about the same with the hydraulic selector valve possibly being even a little more than the power beyond valve.

Benefits of hydraulic selector valve:
No modification to original tractor hydraulic system
More intuitive use with FEL controls, move lever right for tilt right, left for tilt left, up for tilt forward, and down for tilt back.
Would seem to be more convenient than reaching over shoulder to operate T-N-T controls, depends where they are mounted.
Since there are no modifications to original tractor hydraulic system this system could move from tractor to tractor. This is not something that you would do often but if you purchase a new tractor you could move this system to the new tractor.​
Down side of hydraulic selector valve
Possible delay transferring from front to rear control and visa versa
Remember which system is active at any timeHow much of a nuisance would it be to have to switch back and forth?
While the selector valve appears to me to be a cleaner less complicated install there must be reason that most have gone with the additional power beyond valves.​
Comments please

/ New power beyond valve versus hydraulic selector valve #2  
how are you planning on powering the new valve? I didn't quite get that from your description.

another con (if you will be hooking into the PB circuit) is that it would be hard to "feather" the valve if you just want to move a little.

Aaron Z

/ New power beyond valve versus hydraulic selector valve #3  
Rocky,

I would suggest you go the loader valve and find the PB (power beyond port) that feeds the top cover. Take this hose and attach is to your open center valve stack for the TNT and then return from the stack to the top cover.

In this way both the loader and TNT will be able to move immediately. I don't know what the diverter valve is costing but this can be done for the price of a couple of hoses.

If you want to have the TNT valve so it can be removed - like you need the space to mount your backhoe - use quick couplers on either side and on the ends of the two hoses so you can undo the hoses and unbolt the stack.

I would recommend using a diverter only on like a loader bucket circuit where you want to add a grapple or hydraulic PHD - then it makes sense as you don't ahve the hoses and other stuff hanging out front to get torn off.

Just my opinion - good luck with your project!

/ New power beyond valve versus hydraulic selector valve #4  
I think it's a bad idea...Your system will be hard to use and very expensive after you buy all the QD's, fittings and hoses. Plus I think it will take up a lot more room than you think-hydraulic hoses do not bend easily!

If you want the ease of a joystick to operate your TnT, then just add a joystick valve next to your seat-it can be mounted on the ROPS. You will plumb it off the PB port on your loader valve.

/ New power beyond valve versus hydraulic selector valve #5  
A few comments, ROCKY:

A hyd diverter setup that makes use of your FEL manual spool valve would
not be cleaner than installing a proper 2-spool AUX valve at the rear of your
tractor. There is a lot of hose plumbing needed to get to the rear TnT cyls
from the diverter.

If you DO use an electric diverter, they do respond instantly.

Once you have figured out and installed a TnT system on a particular
tractor, I doubt you will remove it an install it on another machine. Going
thru all this trouble to get a working system makes a tractor far more
useful and valuable. Tractor dealers often charge thousands for setting up
a TnT system on a tractor. To do it "properly", there is no "cutting into"
the original system.

/ New power beyond valve versus hydraulic selector valve #6  
I think it's a bad idea...Your system will be hard to use and very expensive after you buy all the QD's, fittings and hoses. Plus I think it will take up a lot more room than you think-hydraulic hoses do not bend easily!

If you want the ease of a joystick to operate your TnT, then just add a joystick valve next to your seat-it can be mounted on the ROPS. You will plumb it off the PB port on your loader valve.

I have a PB kit on my JD970 for the backhoe. It sounds like its pretty straight forward to add another cylinder valve for like a brush hog side shift cylinder by plumbing it into the PB connections at the FEL hose ports?

/ New power beyond valve versus hydraulic selector valve #7  
I have a PB kit on my JD970 for the backhoe. It sounds like its pretty straight forward to add another cylinder valve for like a brush hog side shift cylinder by plumbing it into the PB connections at the FEL hose ports?

Yes, very easy-just plumb a new valve inline with the PB loop.

/ New power beyond valve versus hydraulic selector valve #8  

I tie into the system at the FEL joystick where the PB hooks up? Its difficult to see...is there typically extra threaded ports with plugs?

/ New power beyond valve versus hydraulic selector valve #9  
I tie into the system at the FEL joystick where the PB hooks up? Its difficult to see...is there typically extra threaded ports with plugs?

A new thread is warranted here...

But, there are no "extra" ports. You will have to make a new hose that goes from the block where the FEL valve is that goes to the new valve, then from the new valve to a QD that plugs into the return so you can still use your backhoe.

/ New power beyond valve versus hydraulic selector valve #10  

Be sure and make sure that in addition to plubing inline with the PB loop, that you connect the tank-return connection (usually labeled "out", or "T") back to the tank ( this is a no-pressure return line for the relief valve).

Jay