First Impressions of new BX25

/ First Impressions of new BX25 #1  

dmacneil

Bronze Member
Tractor
BX25, BX42 Chipper, 54" Puma; White 20HP
I've had my BX25 about a month and put on about 40 hours. I've had 2 issues to date. The first after about 5 hours of run time one of the hydraulic controls on the BH went limp. The clevis pin which connects the lever rod to the control must not have had the lock pin installed, or it broke off. I called the dealer and they got me a new clevis and lock pin. The second issue I still haven't been able to resolve and that is greasing the lower zerk on the horizontal pivot of the BH. It will not accept grease without a crazy amount of force on the grease gun (ie. squeezing with both hands). I've removed the zerk, chipped off the paint, made sure the zerk is clear and cleaned out the opening where the zerk installs. I may have to disassemble the BH to fix this one. (That sucks).

I've been happy with what the machine can do but found myself wondering if I should've gone with a B2630 as I've found the BH on the BX25 to be ok, but it left me wanting a bit more. The FEL is adequate, but I unintentionally stalled the lift capacity on it on my first day of use. To be fair, I'm still in the break-in period and haven't run the machine over 1,900rpms. I struggled with which machine to buy as I plan on using it to cut grass as well. Even the BX25 is too big for that job on my property (about 1 1/2 acres with lots of trees). But again, I wish I had more when using the BH or loader.

Today was the first day I used the machine to clear snow (with FEL, blower comes maybe next year). We got a few inches last night and it was wet and heavy. The worst kind of mess to clean up in the driveway. All I can say about the BX25 is "wow". I can't believe what this little machine can do and only running at 1800rpms! The amount of wet snow it can push well surpassed my expectations. I now know that this was the machine for me. Striking the right balance between size and ability for all the things I need it for. It was a big investment, but one I do not regret in the least. I can now complete jobs I only wished I could do for the past 9 years and finish some of my regular work in half the time it used to take. Heck, in the past, this wet slushy mess would've been left alone in the hopes it would melt!

Happy to be a part of the site, unlike some other forums I visit the quality of info on this site is very good.

/ First Impressions of new BX25 #2  
Welcome to the site...I'm thinking your BX25 is gonna do just fine for you...I own a BX23 and have been Very happy with it.

Don

/ First Impressions of new BX25 #3  
Striking the right balance between size and ability for all the things I need it for. It was a big investment, but one I do not regret in the least.
Glad you're enjoying your new BX. I also just bought the 25, and I'll second that about finding the right balance. I spent more than I had originally planned, and then found out there's still a bunch of things I need to buy. Not to mention needing to put up a pole barn next year to house/work on the thing.

My limited time on it so far tells me this machine can do just about what I thought it would (a lot), but it takes longer to do it than a bigger machine. The maneuverability on my particular land is very perfect, though.

So, all in all, it's all about finding the right balance...size, ability and price.

/ First Impressions of new BX25 #4  
i got my bx24 recently. just had the 50 hour service done. i thought the same thing as you. not really with the bh since i haven't really used it but the loader was my concern. it was kinda weak. i decided to get myself a pressure gauge and check the pump pressure and it was way below spec right from the factory. it was set at 1700psi. the top of the reange kubota recommends is 1849. i got some shim stock and bumped it up to 1950. its a whole new machine and now performs reasonably. you might as well break the machine in first because there is a big difference in running as low as 1900rpm. i usually run 2500-2700. the tractor performs nicely around there. not too low and not screamin either. if your on some wooded property then be happy with what you have. there are advantages to owning a smaller machine. bigger ain't always better.

/ First Impressions of new BX25 #5  
hands).
* I unintentionally stalled the lift capacity on it on my first day of use.
**To be fair, I'm still in the break-in period
*That's real easy to do for a novice.
I've had my BX 23 for 4 years and still do it occasionally.
**I'd say it was more the operator than it was the tractor:):D

L . B .

/ First Impressions of new BX25 #6  
Welcome dmacneil.
I second bota jim's opinion about bumping the pressure and making a new machine out of the BX. I bumped mine to 1910 and will probably go to 1950 like bota jim. Have you tried moving the back while greasing? Mine would only take greas on the lower pivot when almost fully swung to the right side. After 200 hours, it took grease in any position. Now at almost 400 hours, I just have to aim the grease gun at the zerk and the grease will flow in. :rolleyes:

Again, congratulations on your purchase and welcome.

/ First Impressions of new BX25
Thanks all for the welcome.

i got some shim stock and bumped it up to 1950

Where did you shim to accomplish this? I will wait until the break-in is complete and then (once I find time) I'm sure I should be able to check the pressure. I'm pretty new to hydraulics, but there isn't anything mechanical I won't tackle.

Have you tried moving the back while greasing?

I have tried 2 positions, almost completely to the right and then in normal resting state. I wondered if there were channels that aligned only when in the position given in the manual. I will try again rotating the boom completely to the right side as in the operators manual. Thanks for the suggestion.

/ First Impressions of new BX25 #8  
Congrats on the machine.

I have to say that the FEL is very easy to stall, but it is usually a situation where you're lifting an entire pile of soil with the front edge of the blade or some other situation. You can stall nearly any piece of equipment if you blade in and expect it to lift whatever is over the bucket. I've found that if you curl, perhaps wiggle the machine forward and reverse while lifting, or just take dirt from higher in the pile, you can prevent the hydraulic stall. Point is that you can completely fill the FEL bucket with anything...bricks, dirt, stone, whatever...and it will carry it happily. It's more of a technique thing than a limitation thing.

The BH is not the strongest unit on the planet, but it is not intended to be. It is supposed to dig holes, chunk through the odd root, trench, and do light- to medium-duty BH chores. It's supposed to keep you from breaking the shovel digging 30 gallons of hard-pan clay to plant the 4" caliper White Oak. It is not to tear through 6" diameter roots to remove the stump from the 32" White Oak you just cut down. Nearly everyone who gets on these backhoes have to adjust their expectations down slightly. Once you understand what it can do and how to maximize its functions, you'll be VERY, VERY happy with it. I'll bet you're the only guy on the block with a backhoe...and I'd much rather store my 'less capable' unit on 6 square feet of garage floor than have a more capable $20k mini-ex rotting in the back yard. Mine EASILY takes care of 95% of any backhoe chore I've ever had, and for that I am happy. The other 5% get done, it just takes a little longer.

/ First Impressions of new BX25 #9  
Once you understand what it can do and how to maximize its functions, you'll be VERY, VERY happy with it. I'll bet you're the only guy on the block with a backhoe...and I'd much rather store my 'less capable' unit on 6 square feet of garage floor than have a more capable $20k mini-ex rotting in the back yard. Mine EASILY takes care of 95% of any backhoe chore I've ever had, and for that I am happy. The other 5% get done, it just takes a little longer.
My BX23 BH has done a lot of task for me and handled them well .
The only thing I have ran into is at times I could use a longer reach to get to some areas on a couple of banks and the longer reach would help with dumping the spoils farther away from a ditch or hole so the dirt won't want to fall beck in the place you dug as easly .

/ First Impressions of new BX25 #10  
Absoultely concur, Mr. Brown. In addition, I have a hard time reaching up into the bed of my side-by-side ATV without jacking up the rear end of my BX all the way. But having a BH attached to the rear of my lawn mower is so wicked cool that I tend to overlook the items you correctly bring to light.