Loader power

/ Loader power #1  

zmansmac

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7500
I started to realize that my FEL doesn't quite seem to have the power that it used to. My B7500 is 5 years old now and I kinda recall reading something about this issue back then but a search couldn't turn it up and oldzimers is starting to set in. I thought I recall reading something about the position of the 3 point having an affect on the loader power. Anybody remember this or was I having one of those dreams. :eek:

/ Loader power #2  
first thing you need to do is check the hydraulic pressure and compare it to what the factory spec is. most likely the spring in the relief valve has just weakened a little. you might need to add a shim or 2. check psi and go from there. do a search on here for relief valve. all kinds of info can be found on the subject.

/ Loader power #3  
I thought I recall reading something about the position of the 3 point having an affect on the loader power. Anybody remember this or was I having one of those dreams. :D

No dreams. When the three point lift lever is set so that the arms are up and the relief opens the loader may not work. At least this is the way it worked on my B7100.

You may be getting used to the loader rather than that the loader's ability has become less??:confused::confused:

/ Loader power
I do have a pressure guage and connected it to a couple different loader QDs. I was getting around 2100 PSI which is a little over factory spec. In fact I was happy that it was on the high side. I generally keep the 3 point up all the way when nothing is connected to it. At least, that's where I put and forget it. Not to say it doesn't droop down a little in time. I didn't realize that it's position up to where it would relieve the pressure was basically an all or nothing situation with the loader. I kinda remember my loader always slowly drooping after a few hours even with no load. So maybe I am getting used to it's operation to the point where, like most of us, I wish it had more power. ;) Or can it be that an internal leak on one or both of the cylinders could decrease apparent power? :confused:

/ Loader power #5  
Or can it be that an internal leak on one or both of the cylinders could decrease apparent power? :confused:

An internal cylinder leak can reduce lifting/curling power. But in all but a few instances, an internal leak will also cause cylinder creep. If it isn't creeping, and the pressure is at or above spec, your loader capacity is at spec.

/ Loader power
Rick,

Thanks for the answer, but I'm unfamiliar with the term "creep" as applied to a hydraulic cylinder.:confused: Are you saying that the loader arms or bucket will move slightly with the tractor running. If that is the case I'll have to check as haven't noticed that happening. I do know that with no hydraulic power the loader arms drift down after a few hours even with no load.

/ Loader power #7  
I do know that with no hydraulic power the loader arms drift down after a few hours even with no load.

That is probably a very normal occurrence.:D