Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    57
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Tractor
    CC 2042

    Default Cold weather starting

    I just bought a B7500HST it did not come with an owners manual( I intend on getting one). My question is what is the procedure for cold weather starting? I have never had a diesel tractor with glow plugs.

  2. #2
    Silver Member botayota's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    132
    Location
    CT River Valley - NH
    Tractor
    Kubota L3240Hst

    Default Re: Cold weather starting

    Quote Originally Posted by tonybada View Post
    I just bought a B7500HST it did not come with an owners manual( I intend on getting one). My question is what is the procedure for cold weather starting? I have never had a diesel tractor with glow plugs.
    Turn the key to the start position, and wait for the glow plug lite to go out then start the tractor.
    Grand L3240Hst, LA724 FEL, R4's Loaded, BH90, Bush Hog SQ160, MK Martin SB68

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    38
    Location
    Western WA
    Tractor
    B7800

    Default Re: Cold weather starting

    Not sure about your model, but FWIW, on my B7800 the glow plug indicator light doesn't extinguish when it's ready to start. From the B7800 manual -

    Over 32F

    Preheating time 2 to 3 seconds

    32 to 23 F

    Preheating time 5 seconds

    23 to 5 F

    Preheating time 10 seconds


    It also goes on to say:

    COLD WEATHER STARTING

    When the ambient temp is below -5C (23F) and the engine is very cold. if the engine fails to start turn off the key for 30 seconds. .... Make sure that the starter is not turned continuously for more than 30 seconds.

    Hope this helps

    Snoho3

  4. #4
    Elite Member wushaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,075
    Location
    Bristol Texas
    Tractor
    Kubota L2800, 15 hp 372 Mitsubishi

    Default Re: Cold weather starting

    Snoho3 is correct on starting procedure for the B7500.
    Kubota L2800HST, Mitsubishi 372, bh75, 45" Agric tiller, 5' home made disk, 42" Bush hog, PHD, 66" Cammond BB.

  5. #5
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    57
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Tractor
    CC 2042

    Default Re: Cold weather starting

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoho3 View Post
    Not sure about your model, but FWIW, on my B7800 the glow plug indicator light doesn't extinguish when it's ready to start. From the B7800 manual -

    Over 32F

    Preheating time 2 to 3 seconds

    32 to 23 F

    Preheating time 5 seconds

    23 to 5 F

    Preheating time 10 seconds


    It also goes on to say:

    COLD WEATHER STARTING

    When the ambient temp is below -5C (23F) and the engine is very cold. if the engine fails to start turn off the key for 30 seconds. .... Make sure that the starter is not turned continuously for more than 30 seconds.

    Hope this helps

    Snoho3
    Wow, the glow plugs work that fast? I thought I read somewhere on here that they were using the glow plugs for 1 minute. Well I will obviously try what you posted first. Where do you set the throttle?

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    38
    Location
    Western WA
    Tractor
    B7800

    Default Re: Cold weather starting

    The B7800 manual says to move the throttle "about halfway" prior to starting. Doesn't sound too exact. In fact, when I start mine I never move the throttle at all. Perhaps someone on here will tell me that I'm not doing my engine any favors, but I've yet to have a problem starting it.

    Snoho3

  7. #7
    Veteran Member kevinj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,317
    Location
    West MI
    Tractor
    BX-1860, L3940HSTC, B7500, Farmall M, Farmall 560D

    Default Re: Cold weather starting

    Quote Originally Posted by tonybada View Post
    Wow, the glow plugs work that fast? I thought I read somewhere on here that they were using the glow plugs for 1 minute. Well I will obviously try what you posted first. Where do you set the throttle?
    One minute was for the older models. On my B7500 the above times work fine, just remember that seconds are not just counting to 3 unless you count real slow.
    Kevin

    BX1860, mower, snowblower - B7500HST, FEL, Bush Hog - Grand L3940 HSTC, FEL, snowblower, 6' Landpride brush hog, 6' King Kutter tiller, Corn Pro 18+5 Fifth Wheel, 1950 Farmall M, Farmall 560D

  8. #8
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    113
    Location
    Morehead, KY
    Tractor
    Kubota B2320

    Default Re: Cold weather starting

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoho3 View Post
    The B7800 manual says to move the throttle "about halfway" prior to starting. Doesn't sound too exact. In fact, when I start mine I never move the throttle at all. Perhaps someone on here will tell me that I'm not doing my engine any favors, but I've yet to have a problem starting it.

    Snoho3

    I do the same. In fact I start mine at idle. My thoughts are, the engine id cold and want the oil to circulate before increasing revs. Is this approach wrong?

  9. #9
    Veteran Member easygo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,402
    Location
    Eddington, Maine
    Tractor
    Kubota B7800

    Default Re: Cold weather starting

    I do about the same on my B7510 as it was described before. I actually give it 4-6 sec when it is warm outside and about 8-10 when below freezing. I start on idle too and when the oil pressure light goes out (about 1sec) I turn the throddle up to about 1500rpm. Let it run like that for a while. I always make sure that the temp gage needle moves noticeably into the "C" before doing anything besides slowly driving it to where I'm going to work. On very cold days I just let the tractor sit in the front of the house at 1500rpm, go in, have a coffee and start work after that. I actually plug in the block heater below 32F but there are many threads about that and warm up methods that people follow.
    It's the going that counts not the distance!

  10. #10
    Veteran Member escavader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,058
    Location
    western maine
    Tractor
    bx-23 ,

    Default Re: Cold weather starting

    Idont start mine at idle ,but i never give it 1/2 throttle .Ido crack it open a bit [mabey 1/4] it does help it start right up.If i dont crack it ,i sometimes need to glow again.Idont like to many rpms at startup either as someone else said.
    ALAN
    KUBOTA BX-23,Block heater, AG TIRES[rears filled],MECHANICAL THUMB,SALSCO CHIPPER,WOODS LRC60 LANDSCAPE RAKE WITH GAUGE WHEELS,,HOMEMADE BUCKET FORKS,QUICK HITCH FOR 3 POINT HITCH,HOMEMADE FRONT BUCKET MOUNTED QUICK HITCH[for 3 point implements], FARM FORCE 6 FT 3 POINT BLADE,MARKHAM TOOTHBAR,HOMEMADE TRAILER HITCH FOR BACKHOE, HOMEMADE HEATED STEEL AND FIBERGLASS CAB,54 INCH PRONOVOST PUMA 3 POINT SNOW BLOWER,WITH HYDRAULIC CHUTE CONTROL,REAR TIRE CHAINS,UPGRADED 40 AMP ALTERNATOR,4-55W LIGHTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.