BX Differential Lock

/ BX Differential Lock #1  

JimMorrissey

Veteran Member
Tractor
'05/'06 L39 TLB
Hello,

Question for ya'll. --I can't seem to figure out exactly how to engage the differential lock "correctly". Obviously you can just step on it when the wheels are spinning, but I've been told not to engage the lock while the wheels are spinning.....doesn't make much sense to me, cuz that's when you need the lock! And, if you don't engage it at the time the wheels are spinning then it usually won't engage fully. I don't want to stop, lose my momentum and fiddle around trying to gently engage it. I want to step on the pedal when it's required. I've asked this question before and got a range of answers so I'm going to ask it again and hope for some consensus.

Thanks, Jim

/ BX Differential Lock #2  
OK. What I do is when the tire starts spinning, I'll back off on the hydro pedal so there is still some motion occurring, then engage the diff lock and apply more pedal as needed.

/ BX Differential Lock #3  
I don't bother to engage it at all. If I start spinning I just stop, put it in 4 wheel and thats that.

/ BX Differential Lock #4  
I took delivery of a Kioti dk40 last week.In going over everything the dealer said engage the diff.lock while the tires are spinning.I had a chance to try it the next day turning a manure pile.Even in FWD I was spinning in the soft clay I stepped on the diff.lock pedal and away I went.

Mike

/ BX Differential Lock #5  
Just let up on the hydro pedal slightly as you step down on the diff lock and away you will go. J

/ BX Differential Lock #6  
I think the key is to apply the diff lock while there is some forward movement still.. but not it you are going full tilt. The diff lock might not be nice to the rear end if it is going way too fast.

Soundguy

/ BX Differential Lock #7  
Jim:

I have found the best way is to stop motion, step on the lock pedal and then slowly ease forward with the hydro. The lock will "drop into gear" as you start moving. Hold down the lock pedal as long as you need, and release anytime.

paul

/ BX Differential Lock #9  
Soundguy, how do you use the diff. lock on your NH 1920? Do you use the hand throttle? I have size 13 feet but can't reach both the accelerator and diff at the same time.

Bill C

/ BX Differential Lock #10  
If you engage the lock while the wheels are still rolling or spinning it will damage the tranny. I have seen and taken apart tractors where the owner thought that it would waste a few more seconds to let them stop. One day the gears will not engage just right and you will hear a big pop. Then it’s time to go the shop. Don’t take a chance. Stop then engage…