HST kill switch driving me nuts...

/ HST kill switch driving me nuts... #1  

idaguide

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
So my B7800 has a series of in-line kill switches designed for my safety. One of them is on the HST pedal, in such a way that if the pedal doesn't return to 'center' when you foot comes off, the tractor will either turn off or won't start after it's been off.
Generally hasn't been a problem until lately...I keep the pedal greased and clean so it 'centers' normally. Was really a weird deal when this first started happening until someone here at TBN explained it to me. The only mention of kill switches in the [really crappy] owners' manual is in regards to the PTO lever.
Yesterday it started 'dying' every time I would get off, and also was really hard to start. Couldn't find the center easily. Actually would turn the key to 'ON' and feather the pedal until it started. Would take 3-5 minutes each time.
NOT COOL.:eek:
Do any of you know if there's a way to adjust this switch, or is it just probably a bad switch? I don't have a trailer so will have to pay for a visit if the dealer takes care of it...even if still under warranty, I bet. (18 months, 140 hours...)
Thanks in advance for any advice.
grae

/ HST kill switch driving me nuts... #2  
Have you checked the linkage underneath to make sure all the parts and pieces are in the proper place:D

On a different model Kubota
I had centering problems and it was bent linkage.:(

/ HST kill switch driving me nuts... #3  
You could also have such as a twig or such stuck in there affecting it.

/ HST kill switch driving me nuts...
Thanks, I'll check again. Looked around under there, didn't see anything initially. Not sure I'd know if "what should be straight is bent." Hahaha.
grae

/ HST kill switch driving me nuts... #5  
Sounds like it's time to bypass the problem!!!

/ HST kill switch driving me nuts... #6  
I had noticed hard starting problems in my B. Like basically no firing, electronics all light up.

I just greased up that linkage, and well that was that. No adjustments needed.

Good luck with it.

/ HST kill switch driving me nuts... #7  
Is it possible that the switch itself sticks? I have that problem on my aging/rusting SUV I only use when I have to tow a trailer. Sometimes the reverse lights are on for a while even while driving forward, until the switch disengages on it's own. Luckily it does not stop the engine. Just a guess.

/ HST kill switch driving me nuts... #9  
   / HST kill switch driving me nuts... #10  
Sounds like it's time to bypass the problem!!!

I bypassed the treadle safety switch on a couple of my older HST Kubotas when this problem occurred. Since HST's had clutches then, which had to be depressed to start, there really wasn't a safety issue. My new MX5800 HST, and many other new HST models have no clutch. Bypassing the switch on these models means the tractor could lurch forward or reverse if started when the treadle isn't centered.