Grading How far to lower 3pt blade?

/ How far to lower 3pt blade? #1  

DanielTerence

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800
I just bought a 5 ft blade for my Kubota 2800 and today it's snowing! Can't wait to use it.
When I was trying it out yesterday, I noticed that the blade touches the ground when the lever is near the 5 or 6 number. Should I lower the lever all the way to 1?

I realize there is no downward pressure besides the weight of the blade. So any benefit to moving/not moving the lever all the way down?

Thanks.

/ How far to lower 3pt blade? #2  
Depends on how level and how solid the surface is that you are working.

For snow removal you should have the top link very short to angle the top of the blade forward... That will help preventing cutting into the roadway. KennyV.

/ How far to lower 3pt blade?
I hadn't even thought of that option - thanks. I was thinking about how much gravel I was going to displace.

/ How far to lower 3pt blade? #4  
That would obviously be different if you were backing with the rear blade or pulling it correct? Then short top link may cause to dig in when reversed.

/ How far to lower 3pt blade? #5  
I also shorten the top link and turn the blade around so that I'm actually plowing with the back of the blade. This helps to keep it from digging in to the gravel.

/ How far to lower 3pt blade? #6  
Rather than shortening the top link, I set mine so the pivot pin on the blade is vertical. This way, when I angle the blade, it's still level and doesn't dig in. As far as digging up the gravel, I turn my blade around to plow until everything is nicely frozen. Digs a lot less. For position, I push the lever all the way down and let it float on the ground. Only time I run it higher is if the snow is extremely deep and I need to make multiple passes, and when pushing banks back. Enjoy!

/ How far to lower 3pt blade? #7  
Great tip from this forum on snow removal on gravel. Cut a pvc pipe and slide on your blade, the blade will not dig. Couldn't wait for the first snow , so used the pipe just leveling a gravel drive for friends and it worked great.
Should really be good on snow.

/ How far to lower 3pt blade? #8  
Thanks for the pvc pipe tip! What size pvc do you use?

/ How far to lower 3pt blade? #9  
I think that I cut the slit in a three inch thick wall schedule 40 for a six foot blade. Also, cut one for my bucket but have not used that one yet.

/ How far to lower 3pt blade? #10  
This year, to make my 3" pipe indestructable, I purchased an inexpensive pair of metal pipe-hanging stirrups with holes in the ends. I've wrapped them around the underbelly of the PVC pipe while its on my cutting edge and ratchet tied the ends over the top of my blade. Reason Ive gone this route is that, while the pvc pipe thing works great and hugs the cutting edge in a sturdy fashion on its own, you only have to crack it one time during an ice/ snow storm to make you want even more security.