Oil & Fuel BX23 fuel system issues

/ BX23 fuel system issues #1  

Riptide23

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX23
Was doing my 200 hour service today, and changed the fuel filter under the hood. Reassembled everything, and commenced the fuel bleed procedure as outlined in the owner's manual.

A few coughs, but no starting. Bummer. Now I have to remove the grill guard and cowling again...

So I look at the new fuel filter, and notice it only has about a 1/4" of fuel in it. I can hear the fuel pump chugging, but it's not filling the filter. So, I remove the filter, and start the fuel pump again. I hear gurgling, but no fuel is pumping out...

What are the odds of a fuel pump failure at the exact moment I change one stinkin' filter out? Any other guesses, or tips on how to troubleshoot? I guess I'll check the output of the filter under the tractor tomorrow, and see if it stays full from gravity. (Yeah, I would have replaced it too, had I known one was down there...).

Thanks in advance.

Pat

/ BX23 fuel system issues #2  
Was doing my 200 hour service today, and changed the fuel filter under the hood. Reassembled everything, and commenced the fuel bleed procedure as outlined in the owner's manual.

A few coughs, but no starting. Bummer. Now I have to remove the grill guard and cowling again...

So I look at the new fuel filter, and notice it only has about a 1/4" of fuel in it. I can hear the fuel pump chugging, but it's not filling the filter. So, I remove the filter, and start the fuel pump again. I hear gurgling, but no fuel is pumping out...

What are the odds of a fuel pump failure at the exact moment I change one stinkin' filter out? Any other guesses, or tips on how to troubleshoot? I guess I'll check the output of the filter under the tractor tomorrow, and see if it stays full from gravity. (Yeah, I would have replaced it too, had I known one was down there...).

Thanks in advance.

Pat

If you have never changed the primary filter it is probably plugged. The one in front of the pump catches most all the garbage.

/ BX23 fuel system issues
Doh!!

So I crawled under the tractor to have a go at the primary filter, and was looking for a place to put a quik-clamp on the fuel line, when I find what I thought was a bracket, holding the fuel line, that had broken off. Except it wasn't a bracket...

It was a fuel line clamp that the previous owner must have put on when the filter was changed last. Still clamped down.

I removed the clamp, mashed the hose back into shape, and whoosh! Fuel flowed to the pump, and the pump gushed fuel when it was activated. Bled the system for a minute, and music!

How on earth the machine has run for the past year and a half with that clamp on, I have no idea...

Anyway, after the 200 hour check, it feels like I have a supercharged tractor.

/ BX23 fuel system issues #5  
Had my first BX23 issue yesterday and it was fuel.

The rubber diesel return hose from the motor to the tank had developed a pin hole leak where it was nylon tied to the bottom of the block...

I had filled the tank last Saturday and used the tractor for about an hour before putting it away. I smelled Diesel on the dirt floor and found my tank nearly empty.

/ BX23 fuel system issues #6  
Doh!!
So I crawled under the tractor to have a go at the primary filter, I thought was a bracket, holding the fuel line, that had broken off. Except it wasn't a bracket...
It was a fuel line clamp that the previous owner must have put on when the filter was changed last. Still clamped down.
I removed the clamp, mashed the hose back into shape, and whoosh! . Bled the system for a minute, and music!
year and a half with that clamp on, I have no idea...
the 200 hour check, it feels like I have a supercharged .
I think I will put a fuel shut off valve on mine.
Anybody done it on a BX?

/ BX23 fuel system issues #7  
Doh!!

So I crawled under the tractor to have a go at the primary filter, and was looking for a place to put a quik-clamp on the fuel line, when I find what I thought was a bracket, holding the fuel line, that had broken off. Except it wasn't a bracket...

I removed the clamp, mashed the hose back into shape, and whoosh! Fuel flowed to the pump, and the pump gushed fuel when it was activated. Bled the system for a minute, and music!

How on earth the machine has run for the past year and a half with that clamp on, I have no idea...

Anyway, after the 200 hour check, it feels like I have a supercharged tractor.

Question, could you see/tell if the old filter was semi clogged in any way after a couple hundred hours on it?

Don

/ BX23 fuel system issues
Question, could you see/tell if the old filter was semi clogged in any way after a couple hundred hours on it?

Well, I haven't cut open the old filter, which was the "secondary" filter. I left the "primary" filter (the one underneath the floorpan) installed, but I will change it out next week, when I can get by the dealer to get another one. But shining a flashlight thru it, it didn't look too bad...

Still can't figure out how enough fuel was getting by the clamp to run the tractor.

/ BX23 fuel system issues #9  
   / BX23 fuel system issues #10  
but I will change it out next week, when I can get by the dealer to get another one. But shining a flashlight thru it, it didn't look too bad...

You should buy 3 when you go and keep a spare set on the shelf. Saves a lot of aggravation. Same goes for the trans filter, one stick and your dead without filters and some super UDT around. As long as you have spares that Murphy guy stays away:D