Salesman said to only to use 4wd....

/ Salesman said to only to use 4wd.... #1  

Dirtslinger2

As I was pulling out with my new 5100 the salesman said I should keep in in 2wd unless needed "like you would a car".
I didn't question that, until I nearly got stuck within the first 3 minutes of operating my brand new tractor. (Ag tires, VERY muddy property at times).

I've just kept it in 4wd ever since (soft ground everywhere I need to drive)- will something be worn out here?

I'm aware it isn't good to work wet ground by the way.

Thanks!

/ Salesman said to only to use 4wd.... #2  
As long as the ground is loose, it won't hurt it a bit. Not recomended on pavement though.

/ Salesman said to only to use 4wd.... #3  
My little B7100 probably spent 2000 of the 3000 hours I owned it in four wheel drive. There did not seem to be any noticeable damage.:D:D

/ Salesman said to only to use 4wd.... #5  
I believe that if i don't over use a tool or tool option for that matter it will last longer. Based on that belief I only use 4WD when I absolutley need it. Can't say if I'm right or not but I feel good thinking I'm conserving. My owners manual does recomend against using 4wd on pavement so I guess wear is a concern under some circumstances.

/ Salesman said to only to use 4wd.... #6  
I believe that if i don't over use a tool or tool option for that matter it will last longer. Based on that belief I only use 4WD when I absolutley need it. Can't say if I'm right or not but I feel good thinking I'm conserving. My owners manual does recomend against using 4wd on pavement so I guess wear is a concern under some circumstances.

When in 4 wheel drive you can definitely feel it when you go to turn on pavement...Deff feels like you're doing something wrong.

Don

/ Salesman said to only to use 4wd.... #7  
Mine is always in 4WD.

Eddie

/ Salesman said to only to use 4wd.... #8  
I've just kept it in 4wd ever since (soft ground everywhere I need to drive)- will something be worn out here?

The issue with being in 4wd is that when you turn, all 4 wheels need to spin at different speeds. The only way to turn in 4wd is for the wheels to slip some. This is why it is so much more noticeable on pavement where all the wheels have good traction, you are actually skidding some of the wheels. This is not so apparent in loose conditions because the wheels will slip much easier. Once again this is only a factor when turning. So if you run in 4wd all the time, the more traction you have the more of a load/stress you are putting on your drivetrain when turning. This is probably why your salesman was not reccommending 4wd all the time. This is also why I do not run mine in 4wd all the time either. I think after you get some hrs. on your machine you will get more comfortable with its capabilities and have a better idea of when you are going to need 4wd and when not. Some will dissagree, but I shift in and out of 4wd while moving with no problem as long as I am going in a straight line and not spinning the tires (all tires moving same speed). So it is not so involved with putting in and out of 4wd while working.

/ Salesman said to only to use 4wd.... #9  
Remember that the front tires are geared to spin 5% faster (range is 2-8% depending on tractor, some go up to 10%) that the rear tires. That is done so the front is pulling the back and not the back pushing the front.

That makes the tires wear faster. Typically the front tires as they are the ones to slip.

Not a big deal on the 4x4 hardware, but the tires can last a bit longer if in 2wd most of the time. Especially on pavement.

/ Salesman said to only to use 4wd.... #10  
2 WD on pavement, 4 WD everywhere else.

Using 4 WD on concrete means the tires leave black marks on the concrete -- got to be wearing down faster than necessary.