Oil & Fuel Another BX Fuel Tank leak

/ Another BX Fuel Tank leak #1  

littlediesel

Silver Member
Tractor
L45 TLB, U35, KX71, U17 Excavators, B3030HSDC, F3680, ASV PT40
I have another BX2200 fuel tank leak. This is my 3rd leak.

I replaced the small kidney tank about 1 year ago. I replaced the main fuel tank about 6 months ago and have developed another leak in the main fuel tank. This is down right annoying. The tractor has only 86 hours.

Have any of you guys had this much trouble with fuel tank leaks?
I am also wondering if Kubota will warranty the tank again. The last time the machine went for the repair it was in the shop for three weeks. Not a good time of year to give up your tractor for 3 weeks again.

Jon

/ Another BX Fuel Tank leak #2  
Jon,

Do you know where it's leaking from (a seam, joint, etc.). It seems that if you are having repeated failures, the problem isn't the tank. I haven't looked closely at the tank on mine, but is there possibly a bolt/chunk of metal/some other obstruction that could be wearing a hole in the tank? Or possibly something binding when the tank is installed, putting stress on the tank and leading to seam failure? I would think your dealer would be suspicious enough to check these possibilities, but you might want to say something to them, just in case. Since this is a failure of a part replaced under warranty, I would hope they would warrant the new one. Good luck.

Kevin

/ Another BX Fuel Tank leak #3  
I have a bx 2200 and so does my friend. Both tractors have a main (black tank) Fuel tank leak. It's coming from the fuel sensor unit under the left fender where the rops bolts up. Kubota is aware of this problem and have a kit for it. I have already changed mine myself. It looks like the tank is leaking at the seam but if you look close you will see it's coming from the upper left side and running down using the seam as a wicking device. Kit # K2561-96140 Good Luck!

/ Another BX Fuel Tank leak
Rooster,
Thanks for the information!!!!!! Did you have to remove the roll bar and fender to access the tank to install the kit. What did the kit consisit of?

Thanks for the help.
Jon S.

/ Another BX Fuel Tank leak #5  
Jon,
Yes, both fenders had to come off. It only tells you to remove the left one, but I found I could move the tank around a little easier with the right one removed. By the time you get the left one off the right one comes off pretty easy.
The sensor is hard to get at. When you take everything off that the information says to, it's still tight to get the sensor out, but can be done.
The kit gives you a new seal, housing, and redesigned hardware to hold the sensor tight against the tank. They clamp the sensor down. You will notice when you remove the old housing that it was never held tight to the tank. Just slips down into a rubber sleeve. The new design is a great improvement and if you use a little gasket sealer it assures a tight seal. Good luck! If you have anymore questions, I will be glad to help.

/ Another BX Fuel Tank leak
Rooster,

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!

I am going to order the part tomorrow. The only thing that really confuses me is that the tractor was taken to the dealer last fall to replace the main fuel tank. He told me at the time that he also made some modification to the fuel sensor. So, I don't know if he made this specific modification you are talking about, however, it is leaking and is coming from the exact location you are describing.

Again, thanks....

Jon

/ Another BX Fuel Tank leak #8  
Jon,
Your welcome. The instructions tells you to use gasket sealer if the tank is a little uneven. Your dealer might not have done that. Also, I got the impression from the regional rep I talked to that the kit was just approved and released to be sent out in April of this year (2002). I got mine about a month ago. The kits might have been available to "dealers only" back when your tractor was worked on. If they installed that kit, it should be in their records. Anyhow, this gives you some information that should be helpful in getting the problem solved. Mine is dry as can be now. Once again, goodluck!

/ Another BX Fuel Tank leak #9  
Do you happen to know what the Service Bulletin number on this is? My dealer seems unaware of it....

/ Another BX Fuel Tank leak #10  
Charliebrn,
I checked, but could not find a service bulletin number on the box the kit came in or the instructions. The title on the instructions states: " fuel stay kit". My friends dealer and my dealer was not aware of it either. I called out to California and talked to customer service, and they are aware of it. Also, I had left a message with my regional Rep before I called California. The rep called back later that day and I told him my dealer ordered me another main fuel tank because mine was leaking. He said " We need to stop that because, it's not your tank, it's the sensor and we have a kit for it. I'll call your dealer and send it to him". My dealer got the kit in about a week and I picked it up and installed it. Your dealer should be able to punch the kit # in and it should come up.
K2561-96140