Kubota - Curtis Plow Mount & Hydraulic Help

/ Kubota - Curtis Plow Mount & Hydraulic Help #1  

jsranman

I recently bought a used 5' Curtis plow to try to use with my Kubota 2630 tractor. I paid $375 for the plow and frame but it does not have any controls, just two long hydraulic hoses. I have two issues that I would like to get right. One is the best way to mount the thing and the other is the best way to hook up the hydraulics for the angle on the plow. I have never worked with plows or hydraulics before. I thought it would be easy but its more complicated than I thought.

First the mount - There are some tabs on the frame that are not the right width apart, but I can cut them and reweld them in the right spots so as to be able to attach them to the loader arm and tilt cylinder pin. It looks like the cylinder for the tilt will be most of the way out to attach to the tabs. Is this method OK? A dealer mentioned that I could chain it somehow and not use the tilt cylinders for mounting so that I could plug into their hydraulic port and use the loader control. That mounting method sounds a little iffy to me, but I like using the loader control. Any suggestions or pics of possible solutions?

Next the hydraulics - there are two cylinders on the plow for angling it and then two long lines. Where to hook them and how to control them? Someone said Kubota sells a third port kit that somehow connects to the mid port that the loader uses. I have a backhoe attached, which I would like to keep on, but could remove if I had to in order to hook up the lines. Also , how would I control if I don't use the loader control for the angle control? Some guidance would be appreciated.

IMAGE_060.jpg

IMAGE_061.jpg

IMAGE_063.jpg

/ Kubota - Curtis Plow Mount & Hydraulic Help #2  
For angle, wouldn't you just use the same connections for the dump and rollback for the loader? Also, there are some threads on these forums about possibly tweaking your loader arms when connecting a plow blade. You might want to do a search if you haven't already.

/ Kubota - Curtis Plow Mount & Hydraulic Help #3  
Welcome to TBN:D

Can't help much on the mounts-but it sounds like you have that figured out...

As for the hydraulics, on very viable option is to add a "remote" to your FEL using a kit from WR Long, that will give you full control of the loader and the blade. Do some searching on these terms for HOURS of reading on this very subject;)

WR Long
diverter
3rd function
remote
FEL plow
FEL snowplow
grapple

/ Kubota - Curtis Plow Mount & Hydraulic Help #4  
Welcome to TBN. :cool:
I have a similar hookup for a 6'6" Curtis blade. I bought it new for a B2910. purchased a quick coupler from Kubota that makes hookup for my 4 FEL mounted attachments. Makes putting the attachments on very easy.
quikcoupl.jpg

Installed an additional valve to operate angle of blade. Never liked the idea of using a chain. The Hydraulic forum here on TBN has lots of info on how to add an additional valve or function. The angle valve is mounted just below FEL joystick in picture below.
P1240017.jpg

/ Kubota - Curtis Plow Mount & Hydraulic Help #5  
As you pointed out, you'll just need to move the mounts on the Curtis frame to match your loader.

On mine, I do not have an additional valve.

I use the dump lines to adjust the blade vertically and then unplug those lines and plug in the angle lines from the blade.

If your vertical blade angle changes due to contact with an obstacle, simply plug those lines back on temporarily to make an adjustment.

Of course, adding an additional valve is the ideal approach.

/ Kubota - Curtis Plow Mount & Hydraulic Help
Everyone - thanks for the information. Ronjhall thanks for the pics of your set up.

I think a plan is starting to come together based on all the info I have recieved. At lunchtime today, I was at the local kubota dealer and had decided on going with the chain method - so I bought a $4.95 hook to weld onto the loader cross bar. I figured I would tap into the loader valve by using the bucket tilt curcuit for the plow angle.

While I was there the dealer mentioned something about the function of the loader valve - I forget the term he used - over power or something - which he said was an option on the 2630 - which could be used to drive another curcuit. He said he wasnt sure about it and said I should call the dealer from where the tractor came.

To investigate what he said, I called the original dealer where the machine came from and he didnt know what the other dealer meant. However, I was able to gain some new, good information. He said my plow set up has two single acting cylinders (one angles the plow one way and the other the other way) that are not designed for the regenerative hydrualic system that the Kubota has. I think I remember reading about this in the several hours reading I did base on the searches that were recommended (Thanks kennyd). He said they would not work properly if I tied into the loader tilt curcuit. He said the best thing for me to do would be to put in a two way valve. He said I would need to disconnect the line presently coming into the loader valve and put it through the new valve and then tie it back into the loader valve. The lines from the plow angle tie into the new two way valve. I think that is what you did ronjhall.

After this conversation, I think I am changing my mind about the chain system and going to go with the new valve system. Still investigating though.

/ Kubota - Curtis Plow Mount & Hydraulic Help #7  
Everyone - thanks for the information. Ronjhall thanks for the pics of your set up.

I think a plan is starting to come together based on all the info I have recieved. At lunchtime today, I was at the local kubota dealer and had decided on going with the chain method - so I bought a $4.95 hook to weld onto the loader cross bar. I figured I would tap into the loader valve by using the bucket tilt curcuit for the plow angle.

While I was there the dealer mentioned something about the function of the loader valve - I forget the term he used - over power or something - which he said was an option on the 2630 - which could be used to drive another curcuit. He said he wasnt sure about it and said I should call the dealer from where the tractor came.

To investigate what he said, I called the original dealer where the machine came from and he didnt know what the other dealer meant. However, I was able to gain some new, good information. He said my plow set up has two single acting cylinders (one angles the plow one way and the other the other way) that are not designed for the regenerative hydrualic system that the Kubota has. I think I remember reading about this in the several hours reading I did base on the searches that were recommended (Thanks kennyd). He said they would not work properly if I tied into the loader tilt curcuit. He said the best thing for me to do would be to put in a two way valve. He said I would need to disconnect the line presently coming into the loader valve and put it through the new valve and then tie it back into the loader valve. The lines from the plow angle tie into the new two way valve. I think that is what you did ronjhall.

After this conversation, I think I am changing my mind about the chain system and going to go with the new valve system. Still investigating though.

He probably meant "Power Beyond"

Just to add to your homework, search the term "regen" for more info...the Kubota's will work with the two SA cylinders-just not great since the regen is on the first part of the joystick throw.

All in all though, a new valve whether its electric or a standard spool vlave is the best solution. The chain deal is a PITA!

/ Kubota - Curtis Plow Mount & Hydraulic Help #8  
the (lift) chain does provide one distinct advantage, compliance (float) ...even when my loader is in float position, it does not provide enough compliance.

I have the Long valve, which works exactly as advertised and would cover your power angle needs and still give you all the loader controls.

/ Kubota - Curtis Plow Mount & Hydraulic Help #9  
See my simple 2 hour to install mount system for the 6.5 foot western on my 7510.

removes with 2 pins and unhooking the chain.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/133245-ready-snow-plow-my-7510-a.html

Works great, chain for the plow allows it to float nicely with the bucket 3" off the ground.

Manual angle for now, as I've read about tweeking the loader arms with a plow.

I'll angle only in a 2" fluffy light powder.

notice the sag in the top of the bucket from the plow chain...this has been bent back up and reiforced with angle stock...

Good luck!

/ Kubota - Curtis Plow Mount & Hydraulic Help #10  
I recently outfitted my B-26 with a 5' curtis QA plow and added a 3rd function valve from WR Long, with some great help from KennyD. I really love the QA, I can take the plow off in 30 seconds and use my forks or bucket. I've attached some pics. The only complaint I have is I can't use the float mode, the geometry wants to raise the front tires off the ground when I'm driving forward, but I'm learning to deal with it. I spent about $700 for the valve with the quick connects and shipping. I've been pretty happy with this set up so far, I've plowed 3 times, with about 6-8" each time

Attachments

• 100_1841.jpg
    100_1841.jpg
    921.2 KB · Views: 1,644
  • 100_1838.jpg
    100_1838.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 1,238
  • 100_1836.jpg
    100_1836.jpg
    677.9 KB · Views: 1,030