snowblower questions - B7100 and throwing rocks

/ snowblower questions - B7100 and throwing rocks #1  

grossgary

Silver Member
Tractor
1994 Kubota B7100 HST 4WD
I have a short, straight, and very small incline driveway. The first 20ft is flat concrete by the house. The rest of the driveway, I'm not sure what it is. It's mostly blacktop but it's kind of "loose" and has a good bit of gravel in it, which I'd rather not end up in the yard!

Will a B7100 snowblower move less gravel from the driveway than a plow?

Are B7100 snow blowers front or rear mounted? I'm sure there are numerous 3PH options, but I saw a B7100 specific blower, looked to be front mounted, is that possible?

/ snowblower questions - B7100 and throwing rocks #2  
I got a walk-behind blower years ago for that reason-- got tired of raking rocks out of my lawn every spring.

With my front-mounted blower (on a M-F GC2310), I definitely move less gravel than a plow, and those few stones that I do manage to pick up end up so far into the woods it's not really an issue....:D

/ snowblower questions - B7100 and throwing rocks #3  
I use a rear blower on my B7100. Up here in the great white north the plan is to keep the blower off the ground and allow a hard pack of snow/ice to form. I have no hills. Once I have a hard pack is formed I drop the blower down without fear of tossing rocks. I suspect that in West Virginia you could keep the blower off the ground and allow the last inch to melt.
There is a recent thread where some one put wheels on the blower instead of skid shoes. I think that sort of setup would work great for you.

/ snowblower questions - B7100 and throwing rocks
hose few stones that I do manage to pick up end up so far into the woods it's not really an issue....:D
excellent!

great feedback, i appreciate it! i assumed the blower would be better but since i don't know anything about tractors my assumptions are about 50/50!

i will definitely be looking for a blower. i guess they're downside is they need a certain amount of snow to work properly. no big deal, if it's just a couple inches i basically ignore it anyway like so far this year.

/ snowblower questions - B7100 and throwing rocks #5  
I use a rear blower on my B7100. Up here in the great white north the plan is to keep the blower off the ground and allow a hard pack of snow/ice to form. I have no hills. Once I have a hard pack is formed I drop the blower down without fear of tossing rocks. I suspect that in West Virginia you could keep the blower off the ground and allow the last inch to melt.
There is a recent thread where some one put wheels on the blower instead of skid shoes. I think that sort of setup would work great for you.

This precisely my strategy, but you can use the same strategy for a plow. A plow is faster, but requires a place to put the snow, and the stones it picks up. The blower throws the stones everywhere when it hits them. I don't either has any particular advantage in terms of not moving stones.

/ snowblower questions - B7100 and throwing rocks
hmmm one for both moving stones
one for the blower is better?

/ snowblower questions - B7100 and throwing rocks #7  
Front blowers are a little more challanging to keep the stones on the driveway with, skids shoes or wheels would help and being sure that the control valve is in float.

For three point hitch units in gravel or dirt you leave the top link a little short allowing the bottom of the blower to compact the base. On a solid concrete or blacktop you leave it a little long and it will scrape to the pavement.

/ snowblower questions - B7100 and throwing rocks #8  
There is a blower for the front of the 7100. Mine works great but as with any blower you are going to pick up some rocks now and again. I set my skids up some to minimize this. By the way, the model of the blower is a B748 and it runs off of a front pto with electric clutch.

Attachments

• tractor.JPG
    tractor.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 789
Last edited: