How long before battery no workie (BX1500)

/ How long before battery no workie (BX1500) #1  

cuoffroad

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1500
I have 430 hours on my BX1500 we bought new about 4 years ago. I notice with this cold weather it hesitates when I go to start it. In the summer it fires right up. In past winters it has fired right up as well. I forget what you call it when you turn the key to let the glow plugs warm up but I do that for about 10 seconds in the winter.

Is 4 years about all I should expect out of one of these batteries or should I be looking at something else as the cause? :confused:

Thanks guys.

/ How long before battery no workie (BX1500) #2  
I've got a nearly 8 year old BX1800 with the original battery, still fires right up. If you're concerned, pull it out and have it tested. Any auto parts store can do this for you.

/ How long before battery no workie (BX1500) #3  
Get your self a battery tender. You can get one from HF for $7 that works great and will leave your battery fully topped off and ready to go. If it's a wet cell Batt you should also check the fluid level. If it's low be sure to add Distilled water only.

/ How long before battery no workie (BX1500) #4  
I have 430 hours on my BX1500 we bought new about 4 years ago. I notice with this cold weather it hesitates when I go to start it. In the summer it fires right up. In past winters it has fired right up as well. I forget what you call it when you turn the key to let the glow plugs warm up but I do that for about 10 seconds in the winter.

Is 4 years about all I should expect out of one of these batteries or should I be looking at something else as the cause? :confused:.
My bx 23 turned 4 last month .
Still has orig. batt.
Over 1100 hours and bat still going strong.
Bought a used 2003 bx1500 a year ago last month.
slightly over 400 hours on it.
Have no idea what the bat is like or how old it is.
Bat doing fine at this point.

/ How long before battery no workie (BX1500)
Well, I suppose I'll take the battery to get it checked. Sounds like it should be lasting longer than 4 years.

I guess I hope it's the battery, otherwise I'm afraid I see $$ in my near future.

If it's NOT the battery, anything else I should be looking at?

Thank you for the reponses.

/ How long before battery no workie (BX1500) #6  
Before you buy a new battery, check the glow plugs and associated circuitry, a friend had a BX2230 that had trouble starting, he replaced the battery and still had same problem, turns out the power wire to the glow plugs had broken off.

/ How long before battery no workie (BX1500) #7  
BX2200, 1st battery lasted 4 yr. Replacement from Kragen lasted 3. Most places that sell car batteries will have what you need as the class is interchangeable. My tractor batteries are lasting about the same as my car batteries. For some things like my elec. start wheeled string trimmer from DR, I have to go to a place that sells motorcycle batteries to get replacements.

/ How long before battery no workie (BX1500) #8  
I needed a battery for a kids toy 4 wheeler and looked all over the internet and Wal Mart for one. Finally saw where Interstate Batterys had the model number available. Called and he had one for about half what the specialty places wanted for it. The other good news is I drive by Barlow Equipment (Kubota dealer) almost every day and just past Barlows on the other side of the road is the Interstate Battery dealer. No shipping or out of the way to get it. Hadn't payed much attention to it being there until I needed the battery. Had a BX1500 and a B7800 that I kept for 3 years with no battery problems.

/ How long before battery no workie (BX1500) #9  
You won't believe it but I bought my used G1800 in 1995. It was already two years old and I only changed the battery a year ago. Ok, it was getting tired near the end but that battery lasted 14 years!:)

/ How long before battery no workie (BX1500) #10  
The kubota we got in 92 got its 2nd battery just a few years ago.