Snow Kubota B21 under snow drift won't start

/ Kubota B21 under snow drift won't start #1  

pdxlights

Was pushing snow off our driveway (200 yds gravel through forest) when bizarre weather conditions (ice+snow+freezing rain) created a new situation: B-21 sliding slowly backwards, spinning downhill into snow bank. Tried to get it out but lost light and freezing rain drove us indoors until morning. Temp was 27 degrees (so not so cold). But in morning tractor would not start. It cranked, but only slowly. Thinking it might be a weak battery, I tried a fully charged battery, but still no joy: only slow cranking. Any ideas for tomorrow?

/ Kubota B21 under snow drift won't start #2  
oil is probably thick as molasus, and what about your glow plug? and if its been sitting wrong what's the chance you need to prime your injectors?

/ Kubota B21 under snow drift won't start
Thanks for suggestions. Propose to drain cold oil, refill with thoroughly warmed oil, try again. due to distance from power source being considerably beyond reach of available extension cords, have been trying to imagine best way to get warmth to engine. Here in NW Oregon we're all going slow.

/ Kubota B21 under snow drift won't start #4  
It might be worth renting a portable generator to get some warmth to that engine, or a portable heater.

/ Kubota B21 under snow drift won't start #5  
have been trying to imagine best way to get warmth to engine. Here in NW Oregon we're all going slow.

If you can get close, pull your vehicle up to the tractor, open the hood, then throw a tarp over the engine compartment and your tractor, let it hang down right to the ground to keep out the draft. If you want to live dangerously, the exhaust is really warm, if your tarp is big enough you can cover tractor and vehicle. Obviously don't sit under the tarp, doh.

/ Kubota B21 under snow drift won't start #6  
A coleman lantern under the tarp may also help some. :D

/ Kubota B21 under snow drift won't start #7  
At +27 F degrees I don't think the cold should have a dramatic effect.
Could be a bad connection on the starter or solenoid.
If you do want to warm things up.
You could drain the anti freeze, warm it up on a fire and pour it back in. Probably don't want to get it very hot, but I would think that 90F should work.
Cold anti freeze is nasty if you get it on your skin. It really sucks the heat out fast. Hot anti freeze is also more dangerous than water.

Last edited:
   / Kubota B21 under snow drift won't start #8  
At +27 F degrees I don't think the cold should have a dramatic effect.
Could be a bad connection on he starter or solenoid.

Tig may be on the right track for your problems.:D

/ Kubota B21 under snow drift won't start #9  
Try better jumper cables, check the battery electrolyte level, check the battery under a load, corrosion on terminal, bad cable, loose cable connection, dragging starter.

Throw a volt meter on the battery and see what the voltage is when you turn her over and see if battery falls on it's face.

Check your glow plugs to see if they are heating up.

/ Kubota B21 under snow drift won't start #10  
My L48s have the same problems and are basically the same machines as the b21. First, make sure you have treated your fuel cause your fuel filter may have slush in it. Second, your machine needs almost full battery power to turn it over effecivly in the winter in the situation you are in. You will need a diesel truck or other machine with big battery to give it a jump. When plowing, like the last 5 days up here in NH, I noticed my lights can drain the battery slowly, so maybe you want to trickle charge it too when not in use in the cold. I had to hook up a charger to get one of my machines to start yesterday, same situation as you. Good luck.