Snow BX24 rear snow blade, need advise.

/ BX24 rear snow blade, need advise. #1  

fred98050

Tractor
BX24
Got a lot of snow lately and I was looking at rear blade to help with snow/slush removal.

Would a rear blade work with the BX24?
Which blade would you recommend?
Do I need any special parts to attach a rear blade to the BX24?
Can a rear blade rotate 180 deg, to push snow going backwards?
Do I need chain to add traction?
What kind of price range for a rear blade?

I will use it with 5 to 8 inch of snow maximum. I will have to use the blade in icy and slushy conditions.

Thank you.

Fred

/ BX24 rear snow blade, need advise. #2  
I'm using a KingKutter 60" rear blade on my BX24. I know it wasn't meant for snow removal, but it's been working great for just that. We have had a couple storms over the last few days that have been 6-12", and it moves it just fine. In fact, my drive is done so quickly that I end up looking for more to move while I have the tractor out. I end up doing half my street.;)

It works even better for slush, just turn the blade sideways a notch.

/ BX24 rear snow blade, need advise. #3  
If you are only getting 6-8" of snow the rear blade would be the tool for that. Some of the manufacturers make blades for sub-compacts If memory serves me right it is designated "XB" in the King Kutter line. (3ph lifting height a consideration)

/ BX24 rear snow blade, need advise. #4  
Got a lot of snow lately and I was looking at rear blade to help with snow/slush removal.

Would a rear blade work with the BX24?
Which blade would you recommend?
Do I need any special parts to attach a rear blade to the BX24?
Can a rear blade rotate 180 deg, to push snow going backwards?
Do I need chain to add traction?
What kind of price range for a rear blade?

I will use it with 5 to 8 inch of snow maximum. I will have to use the blade in icy and slushy conditions.

Thank you.

Fred

I had a 5 foot blade on a BX 1800. It worked OK. Just have to be sure the spread on the 3 point hitch arms are wide enough to hook it up.

/ BX24 rear snow blade, need advise. #5  
I have a LandPride 60" rear blade on my BX24 (also a BX2750 snowblower on the front). When the snow is 4" or less, I use the blade set at an angle to run up the driveway and push it to one side, then blow the row of snow off the driveway. It lifts plenty high on my 3-pt and I could just as easily just blade the snow off the driveway but I use the blower to keep from getting snowbanks along the drive. Set your upper link to angle tilt the blade to grade, not dig.

I always use low range when blowing but find the blade works better in high, as long as the snow is not too deep or heavy. When it's wet and packed, I don't get very far until the rear blade holds me back and the tires start to spin in low range.

It works GREAT for slush in high-range and shoots the water right out of the snow as I blade it to one side. Use a good angle and go fast for this to work right and I was amazed by how well it works.

Another tip I found here is to sometimes backup with the rear blade to push snow off the drive. Just depends on your drive configuration and what you need to get around (like cars and walkways.)

/ BX24 rear snow blade, need advise.
Thank you so much for all the info.

PeterK,

Did you have to do anything special to your BX24 in order to attach the landpride60'?

Thanks,

Fred

/ BX24 rear snow blade, need advise. #7  
Fred,
On the Back Blade page of the BX Wiki site there are links to three other discussions on this topic that you might find helpful.

/ BX24 rear snow blade, need advise. #8  
Thank you so much for all the info.

PeterK,

Did you have to do anything special to your BX24 in order to attach the landpride60'?

Thanks,

Fred

I know this question wasn't directed at me, but I thought I would mention-when I bought my RB, the 3pt posts were too far apart for my hitch. I ended up modding the hitch configuration on the blade so it would fit. It works great.

/ BX24 rear snow blade, need advise. #9  
I have a 4 footer back blade and I think it was a bit too small. A 6 footer would be ideal so when pulling the snow angled, you have enough space between row and tires and it ends up more neat and easier to clean up. I might make it a project this summer to add wings so I can add at least half a foot on each side. There is nothing really specail on how to mount it on your 3 point hitch. The only thing is you might need to remove the lower pins and mount it so its pointing towards each other instead of away from each or to make it eassier to mount with a full sized BB instead of the subcompact series BB.

/ BX24 rear snow blade, need advise.
Everybody, thanks a lot for all of the good info you sent me.

I'll be on m way to the local dealer this week.

Fred