Topping off the tank for a Kubota L3400

/ Topping off the tank for a Kubota L3400 #1  

Elliott Wave

Tractor
Kubota L3400 HST
Hi,

I am a little confused here and was hoping to get some advice. I am in Massachusetts.

Just came back from picking up Diesel at a Mobile Station and after pumping the diesel I noticed it indicated 10% ethanol. Up until today, I have picked up my diesel at a Hess Station and their pump does not indicate any ethanol is added. Do some diesels sold at service stations have diesel with alcohol while others do not? I thought alcohol was not good to use? The additve market always notes that they do not use alcohols? Should I use this diesel with 10% alcohol or should I stick with Hess?

I started adding Aronol diesel fuel additive in October / November each time I add diesel to the tank.

/ Topping off the tank for a Kubota L3400 #2  
If your tractor is still under warranty, I would check with a couple different dealers to see if it would have any affect on your warranty. I'd also do some online research to see what info is out there. I am going to do this now myself as I wasn't even aware that they were adding ethrnol to diesel fuel. E-Diesel is what they are calling it. As an owner of two diesel vehicles I need to do some homework.

I posted over on the tdiclub.com forum to see what the diesel fanatics over there have to say.

Sincerely, Dirt

Last edited:
   / Topping off the tank for a Kubota L3400
I have posed this question to Kubota through their website. They indicate that I should receive a respose within 7 days.

Kubota has a document on their website indicating B5 Biodiesel is approved. Biodiesel Fuel (BDF) must not exceed 5% by volume.

It seems like the Mobile Diesel with 10% ethanol would not be considered acceptable based on the info at the Kubota website. I will wait and see...

I may need to properly dispose of the Mobile diesel...

/ Topping off the tank for a Kubota L3400 #4  
Don't waste that fuel. If you are concerned just add a couple of gallons at a time to a full tank of the fuel you normally use. good luck, eddy622611

/ Topping off the tank for a Kubota L3400 #6  
My fuel supllier offers 5% bio (has ethanol) or no bio. I get the no bio. They told me 5% was the highest suitable for ag equipment.

If you dilute it as mentioned by eddy you'll be fine. I would not use the 10% straight.

/ Topping off the tank for a Kubota L3400 #7  
How effective this is depends on the Gallonage of the tank.

If you were really concerned, you would have taken 3 or 4 seconds to check to see what the fuel capacity of a L3400 is, rather than just spending that time to drop a post that means nothing, except to try to correct somebody, who happens to be right.
Capacity of a Kubota L3400 fuel tank is 9 gallons, which makes his(eddy622611) statement completely correct. Adding a couple gallons per tank will be the best way to dispose of it.
David from jax

/ Topping off the tank for a Kubota L3400 #8  
Hi,

I am a little confused here and was hoping to get some advice. I am in Massachusetts.

Just came back from picking up Diesel at a Mobile Station and after pumping the diesel I noticed it indicated 10% ethanol. Up until today, I have picked up my diesel at a Hess Station and their pump does not indicate any ethanol is added. Do some diesels sold at service stations have diesel with alcohol while others do not? I thought alcohol was not good to use? The additve market always notes that they do not use alcohols? 1*Should I use this diesel with 10% alcohol or should I stick with Hess?

I started adding Aronol diesel fuel additive in October / November each time I add diesel to the tank.
Why not use off road ?
It's cheaper!

/ Topping off the tank for a Kubota L3400 #9  
Why not use off road ?
It's cheaper!

It depends upon what part of the country you reside in.
If I were to purchase offroad/farm diesel I would have to purchase a minumum amt. @250-300gallons which would have to be delivered.

In my area there are no fuel stations that carry offroad diesel like there are in say Kansas or Oklahoma for example.....so if I were to use 300 gallons in a year then yea it would be cheaper, so for my 30-60gal I may use in a year it is not practical.
Oh yea I would also need a tank to store it also so there is a cost for that also.

So the moral to this story is.....no it is not cheaper for everybody.

/ Topping off the tank for a Kubota L3400 #10  
Interesting, I've never heard of E-Diesel before reading this thread. I'll have do some research and watch for it. Wushaw is correct, we have the same senerio around here and my usage would not justify purchaing bulk of off-road fuel.