Lift a gun safe?

/ Lift a gun safe? #1  

meddac

Do you think a BX24 could lift a 750-800# gunsafe about 12 inches to get it on a landscape trailer with the FEL or if I bought forks for it. I believe the stats say the bucket is only good for 600 or so. Anyone ever left that much weight with one? It's gonna be on all level cement and a low lift. Thanks

/ Lift a gun safe? #2  
I wouldn't do it. The BX24 is rated for 500lbs with the FEL. If you use forks, the limits drops significantly the further you get from the axis of the bucket. A gun safe has the potential to do some serious damage/hurt someone if it fell. Not to mention the potential damage to the tractor. It would be cheaper to hire a company that specializes in moving safes, than a hefty repair bill for tractor/trailer/safe and medicals. JMO. Good luck.

Last edited:
   / Lift a gun safe? #3  
I agree with coreshot. It'd be a shame to bend or break something on your tractor or worse if someone got hurt.

If you did try to lift with the FEL, the hydraulic pump would probably just bypass if the lift load exceeded the preset limit of the pump. All you'd do is make noise and the safe would probably stay put.

Last edited:
   / Lift a gun safe? #4  
Hi core:
there are other ways of getting the safe onto the trailer, such as laying it on its back part way up on the trailer, putting a couple of pipes on the trailer and picking up the lower end with pry bars and wood blocks, and use the pipes once the safe is horizontal and flat to roll it further onto the trailer. Then use pry bars again to lift it off the pipes and let it down onto some more wood blocks in order to offload at the other end. My son calls it, "Getting Egyptian", as in building the pyramids.
You will not like the feeling you get with the tractor being overloaded. It's like it's floating, but a bad float.
simonmeridew

/ Lift a gun safe? #5  
I wouldn't go to the trouble of buying forks, but was wondering if you have a removable bucket, or how you would install the forks?

First thing I'd do is get a good strap and put it under the safe so that it goes up all four sides and the top is even. Then I'd just see if you can lift it with your loader. If it's close, but not quite, take off the bucket.

Good luck, it would be a shame to have the tractor and not be able to use it.

Eddie

/ Lift a gun safe? #6  
you probably would have better luck if your trailer have a built in ramp. If you can't drive up the ramp and into the trailer you might be able to use a 3 pt carryall that would lift high enough for you. The 3 pt on the BX24 has stronger lift then the bucket. I believe you would be better off since the weight would be on the rear and you could have the bucket loaded with something for counter balance.

here are the facts i have already compiled on my BX24 as per manual--
Loader can lift 235 lbs
3 pt hitch can lift 1210 lbs

/ Lift a gun safe? #7  
Using the 3-point was my first thought before reading, although going "egyptian" on it is also a good plan -- the only difference I would suggest is not taking the rollers out from under it, instead drive wedges under it at the corners so it doesn't shilt while in transit. (still strap it tightly)

/ Lift a gun safe? #8  
Try to use the BH and some straps ...it can handle more weight .

/ Lift a gun safe? #9  
Personally after seeing what I have done with the FEL and the logs I have moved and lifted that gun safe is a no brainer. Try it, just take your time dont rush things and be careful.

Craig

/ Lift a gun safe? #10  
I moved 1100 retaining wall blocks (52lbs/each), 10 at time... down a pretty good incline with no problems. ;)