Snow BX FEL snow plow

/ BX FEL snow plow #1  

Just2quickz28

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 24
Hey guys just stopped by my dealer to price out some snow removal equipment for my BX 24. I do have a FEL snow plow that was made from an old state plow truck, its a bit heavy for the BX makes it sort of unsteerable. This particular dealer does not stock any 3pt snowblowers due to low demand. but could get me a woods unit. he did price out a front mount snowblower fo the BX at about 3500$ with the quick hitch and what not. Also priced out a a front blade with hydraulic angle and the quick hitch for about 2100$. Last option is a new curtis FEL mount snow plow, made for the BX series. The price on this is about 2500$. This has a custom mount for the BX and actually replaces the front bucket and center cylinder. I grabbed a copy of the pages from the dealers catalogue but my scanners acting up, so I took a few photos of the pages, below is the best one. I will try to get some shots scanned for a better picture.

Now I have a few questions. Has any one used the curtis plow on a BX? how did it work ect ect.

Also since I have an ATI quick hitch I would not want to remove the center cylinder to hook up the chain. I wouldnt not be apposed to welding another place to mount the chain on the round cross over tube. Would there be any problems leaving the center cylinder there just unhooked?

Attachments

• curtis_plow.jpg
    curtis_plow.jpg
    971.1 KB · Views: 3,644
   / BX FEL snow plow #3  
Matt
I have the Kubota BX2673A blade mounted to FEL like the curtis and left the cylinder on, just swap the lines. The chain hook is mounted on top of the cylinder mount. I also have a mount so the cylinder can be used with the plow for down force. I just zip tie the cylinder to the down force mount with slack when not using it. It works great.
Bob

/ BX FEL snow plow
Matt
I have the Kubota BX2673A blade mounted to FEL like the curtis and left the cylinder on, just swap the lines. The chain hook is mounted on top of the cylinder mount. I also have a mount so the cylinder can be used with the plow for down force. I just zip tie the cylinder to the down force mount with slack when not using it. It works great.
Bob

Bob you got any pictures of your set up? sounds like I might be able to purchase the blade, and use the existing FEL mount that I have.

/ BX FEL snow plow #5  
I would go with the front blade and quick hitch over the loader mounted blade. Besides being less money, it will mount closer to the front of the tractor. With the loader mounted blade way out front it will have a lot more leverage to push the tractor around when plowing with the blade angled. The front mounted blade will be more handy to get around in tight places, too. Something to think about.

/ BX FEL snow plow #6  
I would go with the front blade and quick hitch over the loader mounted blade. Besides being less money, it will mount closer to the front of the tractor. With the loader mounted blade way out front it will have a lot more leverage to push the tractor around when plowing with the blade angled. The front mounted blade will be more handy to get around in tight places, too. Something to think about.

Good point Toolguy, that clamp on plow will probaby swing you around pretty good.

/ BX FEL snow plow #7  
The 3 point blowers might be worth some more thought. Cheaper, handles deeper snow, easier to connect, allows you to use your FEL. On the downside, it is harder to steer than a front mount and if you have a sore neck or back turning in the seat can be a pain. Best of luck with your decision. All seat time is good time :D

/ BX FEL snow plow
I have been trying to find a used 3pt blower but havent had much luck finding one. And with a long dirt and gravel drive I am not sure its the way to go. We dont get a good freeze that sticks around all winter, Its more of a constant freeze and thaw cycle. Im thinking the front blade might be the way to go, and maybe find a way to incorporate the kubota blade to the FEL.

/ BX FEL snow plow #9  
Matt
Bob

I am too, wondering on how yours is setup. I have a old truck plow i pciked up for free and i want to adapt it to the fel arms as well. the plow is not too heavy- i beleive its nearly the same wieght as the bucket. I saw someone else make a post recently on how he adapted it to his fel arms but it wasnt a BX. I am still pondering my options.