My quest for "Grand" 3 point performance from my "economy" tractor. The L3400

/ My quest for "Grand" 3 point performance from my "economy" tractor. The L3400
Re: My quest for "Grand" 3 point performance from my "economy" tractor. The L3400

Right mjfox6, that's exactly what I'm hoping.

I'm going to do the L3010 valve next. Well, maybe not me, TBD. Not Kubota for sure. Oh, my warranty is dead an buried but that shouldn't affect how the valve works.

I want to start, well after the LSV, with the best stock option before I even consider experimenting with an aftermarket retrofit.

/ My quest for "Grand" 3 point performance from my "economy" tractor. The L3400 #92  
Re: My quest for "Grand" 3 point performance from my "economy" tractor. The L3400

I don't know where you are located, but maybe there is someone close that has the 3010 valve and is willing to try. I'll stick it in mine if you are close to me or want to mail it.

/ My quest for "Grand" 3 point performance from my "economy" tractor. The L3400 #93  

Harvest...thank-you for at least giving me a high speed lift segment in the video. I had no idea about the rate. It's FAST.
I needed that image to see rate, therefore flow.

My opinion is that your lift speed from down to up is very very fast relative to most old school tractors I have seen.

If someone can point me to some diagrams, I could possibly figure the system out. I don't have them because I have a BX2200. I have service/parts manual for that only. THERE IS a lift cylinder bleed procedure in there somewhere, and I will try to find it.

My opinion is not changed...rate seems high as a kite. Be sure and check linkage that feeds back position. Make sure there are no springs in that.

Gotta go..going to install the loader on my BX and my new cat1(n) 2-pt draw bar. I will check back later. Someone on here has a fuel system problem, so if I have time I will check fuel system flow rate for that gentleman.

Nice offer mjfox6 but I decided a few months ago that I'm going to have to give in and go for the L3010 valve anyway. I hope to set the wheels in motion this week. I'd like to have the new LSV in there when it happens.

If you or anyone else for that matter wants to try but not doesn't want to spend $90.. there are only 4 internal components that are different.

One is the shaft, it has a has a taper I think to about 1/8 inch from the end. It goes from maybe 3/16 to 3/32 at roughly 45 degrees. The one in the L3400 LSV is just a straight rod at the 3/32 is dimeter. (sizes are just for reference) I don't know if this taper is important, that shaft is set up for a different knob connection too. This part is accompanied by a double o-ring on the L3010 as opposed to a single on the L3400, I wonder if it is just beefier for the higher pressure in the L3010 or if the taper alters the flow characteristics.

The third and fourth component are the spring and the washer:
04012-50080 Washer $0.06 at tractorsmart.com $0.11 at Messicks.com
30812-37360 Spring $4.74 at tractorsmart.com $5.68 at Messicks.com

Thing is, if you want to try, for $4.80 plus shipping that should only cost $1.00 you could pop out the valve, pull the snap ring, insert the spring first, the washer second and viola, 10 minutes later have almost the complete LSV. And I mean it, all the other internal parts (three o-rings and the adjusting collar) and the valve body are exactly the same.

And if all else fails, I think the shaft, for about $15 and an o-ring, can be replaced without removing the valve from the tractor.

EE_Bota, thanks. I'm going to look for that bleed procedure too. Maybe there is air still in there.

/ My quest for "Grand" 3 point performance from my "economy" tractor. The L3400 #95  

Nice offer mjfox6 but I decided a few months ago that I'm going to have to give in and go for the L3010 valve anyway. I hope to set the wheels in motion this week. I'd like to have the new LSV in there when it happens.

If you or anyone else for that matter wants to try but not doesn't want to spend $90.. there are only 4 internal components that are different.

One is the shaft, it has a has a taper I think to about 1/8 inch from the end. It goes from maybe 3/16 to 3/32 at roughly 45 degrees. The one in the L3400 LSV is just a straight rod at the 3/32 is dimeter. (sizes are just for reference) I don't know if this taper is important, that shaft is set up for a different knob connection too. This part is accompanied by a double o-ring on the L3010 as opposed to a single on the L3400, I wonder if it is just beefier for the higher pressure in the L3010 or if the taper alters the flow characteristics.

The third and fourth component are the spring and the washer:
04012-50080 Washer $0.06 at tractorsmart.com $0.11 at Messicks.com
30812-37360 Spring $4.74 at tractorsmart.com $5.68 at Messicks.com

Thing is, if you want to try, for $4.80 plus shipping that should only cost $1.00 you could pop out the valve, pull the snap ring, insert the spring first, the washer second and viola, 10 minutes later have almost the complete LSV. And I mean it, all the other internal parts (three o-rings and the adjusting collar) and the valve body are exactly the same.

And if all else fails, I think the shaft, for about $15 and an o-ring, can be replaced without removing the valve from the tractor.

EE_Bota, thanks. I'm going to look for that bleed procedure too. Maybe there is air still in there.

Right, you seem to have the internal parts differences figured out.
But,
But, butt, butt,,,,
What if ?
What if the REAL problem is in the linkages ?

One is needed to "tell" the hydraulics where you want the 3PH,
one is needed to "tell" the hydraulics where the 3PH is currently at.
As the difference approaches zero the movement should stop, there should be no overshoot, you would HOPE that the movement would slow as the difference approaches zero, but a quick stop may be acceptable.

Is there a baseline set-up routine for all this stuff ?
IMO this is a likely to be a (lack of) factory set-up as "parts".

/ My quest for "Grand" 3 point performance from my "economy" tractor. The L3400 #96  

I could not find a bleed procedure. I looked in my owners manual, and also in my service manual. Nothing about bleeding the cylinder.

If I am to believe the pictorial they use in the explanation section, there is almost no room for air to live, as the piston comes close to the bore edge when the lift is down.

So making sure the lift goes all the way down as quickly as possible a few times looks like as close as we can come to bleeding.

Sorry I mislead you guys. I could swear I saw it somewhere..

Oh by the way, my cyl diam (BX2200) is 3.15 inches. Lift cap. at pins 1210 lbs. System relief pressure is 1745-1800PSI Pump is rated 5.5 gpm at 3200rpm, but priority flow divider valve sends 1.8 gpm to the power steering, pto, etc, and keeps the 3.7 gpm for the loader and lift.

Reg, I'm thinking if we rule out the $5 parts with the 15 minute task then we can move on to more advanced solutions.

As far as factory set up, well, I think all L3400's with the lousy PCVs demonstrate similar malfunctions. Many thousands of them but I've only seen a few. The only solution I'm aware of to date is to replace the PCV with the one from the L3010.

There is definitely over shoot and quick stop. The quick stop first then the overshoot as the momentum throws the implement up past the stopping point. This is allowed by the one way/float nature of the 3 point.

I wonder if that can have a resonating effect on the linkage system or not.

EE_Bota, I don't feel mislead at all.

It probably just bleeds it's self with the first cycle.

/ My quest for "Grand" 3 point performance from my "economy" tractor. The L3400 #99  

There is definitely over shoot and quick stop. The quick stop first then the overshoot as the momentum throws the implement up past the stopping point. This is allowed by the one way/float nature of the 3 point.

I wonder if that can have a resonating effect on the linkage system or not.

I think you are onto something here. Where the lift shaft arms rotate at the casting, it may be possible to use a wax/soapstone/grease pencil to put reference marks to see if it does overshoot. If it does, the response will be a falling action back to the new desired position. If it is a really bad overshoot, it will shift the feedback part of the valve and actually drop the implement down...and if that overshoots...... I have noticed a resonance in some of the videos.

If there is a accessible feedback arm with linkage, it may be possible to remove some of the linkage and immobilize the feedback arm. That would give YOU complete control of the movement, like a loader valve. Then you could try your hand at quarter-inching. If you can't do it, the tractor can't do it, and it will be because of flow rate, as I have said too many times.

It's clear as day to me that reducing the flow and slowing things down could only benefit us but, thanks to this discussion. I was hoping for a simple factory fix, I should know better.

I'm convince that the PCV from the L3010 is a way better valve and my tractor deserves to have one. It will be exciting to see what the new valve combo produces but at its best, it will still benefit from being slowed down 50%.

I think canoetrpr's solution may be just what we need although after 150+ hours I might be so happy with a fast smooth, at least 1/4 inch valve that I'll need another 150 to get motivated to try it.

The concept of having the adjustable valve is really exciting. We could control the up and down speed. That's Grand.