My quest for "Grand" 3 point performance from my "economy" tractor. The L3400

/ My quest for "Grand" 3 point performance from my "economy" tractor. The L3400
Re: My quest for "Grand" 3 point performance from my "economy" tractor. The L3400

Rockyridge, Adjust your feed back to get the extra inch with CAUTION! That extra inch is free play and it's factory spec. I think it is there to protect your tractor from damage and keep the hitch from supporting the full weight of the tractor incase of a misjudgment.

Like the time I hit a hill with my subsoiler fully raised and it didn't bite. I was concerned at fist to see it raise up past the limit, thought I broke something. After I realized the amount, thankfully, that I needed was designed into the hitch I was relieved it was there.

Thanks for being the one to test the feedback! And that's a great question and observation about the raise speed, let's hope some one with the smoother valve gives us a number. And although it has a different pump it may help to get the same number from an L2900 or L3010 owner.

/ My quest for "Grand" 3 point performance from my "economy" tractor. The L3400 #112  
Re: My quest for "Grand" 3 point performance from my "economy" tractor. The L3400

I think what you are looking for is back in post #81. Still hopeful that the LSV change will affect a positive outcome. Still waiting on the L3010 PCV valve.

I have one of the L3010 valves it does not go up at the speed of the one in the video , way to fast , if I can get the parts will try and see if valve helps or hurts performance on lift .
Will try suggestion in post #94 :The third and fourth component are the spring and the washer:
04012-50080 Washer $0.06 at tractorsmart.com $0.11 at Messicks.com
30812-37360 Spring $4.74 at tractorsmart.com $5.68 at Messicks.com

Awesome GMtb42!

My new PCV arrived today and I had a chance to run it and my machine down the road to a local farmer/tractor mechanic. I was going to attempt the repair myself but decided not to for lack of a proper shop and winter weather.

I don't have a clue as to when it will be done, I told the guy I'm not in a hurry. I'm just glad he took on the job, I decided a long time ago that I'm not letting "my" Kubota dealer touch my machine unless I can find no other option.

If GMtb42 goes for it we'll have some long awaited answers. Maybe sooner from GMtb42 than me. The benefit (if the results are good) from GMtb42's effort is that we'll be able to compare the $5 LSV modification with the $90 LSV swap out that includes the alternative shaft. Honestly, I can't imagine how adding the spring and washer could have any negative impact when used with the L3010 valve as it is in several other models.

One problem with the new LSV is that the shaft is too short and the handle is extended on a "pipe" that is too long. If I don't swap it back out I will forgo the L3010 knob and rig up the original. The L3010 handle "pipe" can be shortened but I'd rather have the original anyway.

The beauty of the $5 change is that you'll still have the shaft and original knob, so it's simple, cheap and easy. Replacing the shaft, or entire valve is probably not necessary but we won't know until someone tries. It will be really cool if this helps!

Obviously and oddly, I'm still optimistic that this will help!

/ My quest for "Grand" 3 point performance from my "economy" tractor. The L3400 #114  

Harvest - glad you are an optimist!

I spent some time studying the shop manual wrt. the valve, feedback linkage and so on. I'm amazed and to an extent happy at how simple and basic the mechanics of this model are.

The PC lever opens the valve, fluid rushes into the cylinder raising the hitch, the feedback lever closes the valve back.

I also continue to be amazed that Kubota did not get this right given the simplicity of the design.

I also continue to be amazed that Kubota did not get this right given the simplicity of the design.

Probably should leave this alone but I say product differentiation.

I know, I know... they don't say, hey, come on this Grand L (or B3030) has a smooth hitch and the L3400 has a junky one but they've gotten quite good at saying, hey, you bought our economy model...

/ My quest for "Grand" 3 point performance from my "economy" tractor. The L3400 #116  

I sure wish you fellows luck. I have spent several hours studying parts books online. It's a rough way to go compared to an actual schematic, but it did give me a few more clues than before.

I'm sure you fellows have seen these videos, but forgive me if you have,
but it does add weight to a valve change..
Before
YouTube - Kubota L2800 - Trying to raise the 3point Hitch
After:
YouTube - Kubota L2800 After Valve Replacement 3PH

Canoeptr, you said in an earlier post that the function is simple. Looking at the second video, I can see the control handle progresses upward (does not return to center to stop movement)....are there sliding friction disks in the linkage that the feedback linkage causes to slip? Does item 250 attach to the valve?
I tried to do an attachment of a L2800 parts page.

Attachments

• L2800.JPG
    L2800.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 148
   / My quest for "Grand" 3 point performance from my "economy" tractor. The L3400 #117  

Hey!!! that's me!!! I was very glad to have gotten mine replaced (and do feel sorry for those that could not). I saw that my dealer went out of business coming back from Christmas... not sure how I felt. Sorry to think that kuboota might have gone back to those valves... hopefully, they will not follow my dealership... :eek: Glad to see people trying to fix the problem. :)

Hey EE_Bota, thanks for your continued help with this. I'm not up to speed on the nuances of the feed back levers mechanics, just the basics as canoetrpr outlined.

I did a quick compare between the L3010 "feed back lever" and the L2800 "feed back lever" and it looks like all the part numbers match up except for the actual feed back rod. I didn't check every number but the little parts like #250 that I did check (at least half at random) all have the same part numbers.

What does it all mean? What do all those little parts do other than seem to make the PCV lever stick and difficult to move smoothly?

I'm pretty sure #250 is the part that connects to the valve but I don't have my WSM or tractor at the moment so I can't take a closer look.

/ My quest for "Grand" 3 point performance from my "economy" tractor. The L3400 #119  

Sure Harvest_Moon..you guys have worked hard on solving the problem and I hoped Teg's videos would provide a little encouragement.

I really appreciate Teg's video showing the before and after.

This thread is so long now, I can't be sure I have read it all. I did notice Canoe_ptr's very nice description of how he would go about installing a flow control valve, and he said he understood the linkage a bit, and because I don't have the tractor (therefore neither do I have the service manual) I am struggling a bit with the linkage. But obviously, it's not really important that I know, so it would be a bit of a waste of someone's time to explain it to me.

I truly believe you will succeed. But, if for some reason it does not work out, don't let it get you down. Canoe_ptr's concept of the flow control valve also has promise..so either way, you WILL get the results you are seeking.

Good to meet Teg.. I spent 10 years in Raleigh. First four years getting an Animal Science degree, also working at the Dairy Research Unit, and a couple of years a D.Dix dairy farm as assistant manager. Returned a few years later to get the Electrical Engineering degree. GO WOLFPACK!

/ My quest for "Grand" 3 point performance from my "economy" tractor. The L3400 #120  

Hi EE_bota. I don't know what a sliding friction disk is unfortunately. Not quite sure how to get my printer to scan. I think it has the functionality so I will take shot at it soon and try to scan in the page from the service manual that explains the workings of the position control valve.

I'll try to describe but its bound not to do much good.

- The position control lever turns a shaft which is connected to the a control on the valve which causes the valve to open thus moving the hitch.
- The feedback linkage from the hitch arms is also connected to the same control on the valve and as the hitch moves into position, the feedback linkage arm closes the control on the valve which causes the valve to close.
- The delta between the position of the position control lever and the feedback arm is what causes the valve to open. Once the hitch moves (or drops) because a delta is created by moving the position control, the feedback lever moves into place to close the delta.

It is all a simple mechanical feedback mechanism. No rocket science to it whatsoever.