My quest for "Grand" 3 point performance from my "economy" tractor. The L3400

/ My quest for "Grand" 3 point performance from my "economy" tractor. The L3400 #21  
Re: My quest for "Grand" 3 point performance from my "economy" tractor. The L3400

Thats correct, but what he was pointing out was the 30 and 40 series grand L's use external 3pt lift cylinders, not the internal rock shaft setups. You'll find the parts and pieces on those are very different. The standard L's share some parts off the old grand 10 series.

/ My quest for "Grand" 3 point performance from my "economy" tractor. The L3400
Re: My quest for "Grand" 3 point performance from my "economy" tractor. The L3400

Thanks for joining the discussion Messicks. No hostility directed to you but you just brought forward the essence of the frustration for many of us with Kubota and the L3400 and L2800....

The standard L's...

It's always a standard L until you drop 18K and realize your hitch is substandard. Then it's and "ECONOMY L"... check out Kubota web site:

Kubota Tractor Corporation | L Series Standard L2800 / L3400 / L4400

Messicks, do you think we can get L3010 hitch smoothness out of our L3400's and L2800's?

/ My quest for "Grand" 3 point performance from my "economy" tractor. The L3400 #23  

Hmm. I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't the cylinder here that is the missing piece of the puzzle. dkf435 brought up an excellent point.

I'm certainly no expert in hydraulics maybe the flow is actually too fast on the L2800/L3400 for the 3 PT cylinder they have. I know with my remotes that I had to slow down the flow using 1/4" lines instead of 3/8" lines to get desirable smooth / fine grained control of my top and side link cylinders.

I'm not suggesting that we should slow down the flow the the 3 pt cylinder - because that would affect the capacity of the 3 pt. I'm just wondering if the cylinder itself is the weak link here and that a different cylinder might help.

I guess we won't know until you get your valve changed.

/ My quest for "Grand" 3 point performance from my "economy" tractor. The L3400 #24  

As you will see from my example, I am no expert on hydraulics either.
I wonder if it is the design of the valve itself, that it is either full open or completely closed, no gradual closing. I am not sure if this is a legitimate comparison but the example that comes to mind is the water fill control valve on a toilet tank. With the old style valve when it got closer to the full line where it would be completely closed they filled slower and slower until they shut off completely. The newer valves go from full open to completely shut off once they reach the fill line. That seems to be what is happening with our 3ph, completely open to closed, no gradual closing of the valve. If that is the case possibly replacing the valve with one that closes gradually may correct the problem.

/ My quest for "Grand" 3 point performance from my "economy" tractor. The L3400 #25  

Rockyridge - if it was the 3pt valve itself then the same valve would not be able to result in smooth performance in the GL 3010 and the L3000. This is why Harvest discounted the theory that it is the valve itself.

/ My quest for "Grand" 3 point performance from my "economy" tractor. The L3400 #26  

Messicks, do you think we can get L3010 hitch smoothness out of our L3400's and L2800's?

You guys are charting new ground with this one. I've never had a customer complain about this, so its not somthing we've really dug into.

I do think there is merit to what was said about it getting too much flow. That should be an easy thing to tinker with. It won't hurt your capacity since you still have the same PSI. If the parts are the same as the L3010 than I don't see what else it could really be. Thats assuming that the 3010 does not have the same problem.

I've not seen anything along the lines of a soft close valve. Typicaly cusioning is done with hydraulic accumulators. I'm not an engineer though.

/ My quest for "Grand" 3 point performance from my "economy" tractor. The L3400 #27  

Neil - Slightly off topic but related question for you.

What do you think is a ball park split between % of sales you guys do between the L2800/L3400 and GL3240?

/ My quest for "Grand" 3 point performance from my "economy" tractor. The L3400 #28  

4-1 probably. The economey L takes more from the B3030/B7800 than they do from the L40's.

/ My quest for "Grand" 3 point performance from my "economy" tractor. The L3400

If the L3010 has a larger bore, it would fill slower and probably correspond smoother performance... but I wonder, with a higher relief pressure, if the bore is larger and if it is, how much larger could it be?

The L3010 uses the same rod so the stroke would probably be the same.

I'm still thinking there's got to be a reason for the extra spring in the LSV, mine lowers smooth as silk at any speed with out the extra spring.

It's very likely that this spring does something but maybe not as much as I hope. If canoetrpr is right, maybe we'll only see a 10% improvement.

One thing that isn't in debate and that is the original jerky PCV is much worse than the L3010 PCV. Your all welcome to interpret for yourselves and invited to comment but to me it looks like the difference really boils down to two springs. If that's the case, then what else can we conclude but that the LSV with the spring will help too? So long as it fits?

/ My quest for "Grand" 3 point performance from my "economy" tractor. The L3400 #30  

Wow! I didn't realize that the Grand L sales were so much fewer than the B series.

Makes sense that the Economy L really take from the B7800/B3030. I was looking at the B7800 myself when I realized that the L3400 made much more sense for me.