4WD locked up

/ 4WD locked up #1  

Knotbored

Silver Member
Tractor
Kabota
I have a B7100 and fairly steep acreage. I have been using the tractor in 4WD about 95% of the time to avoid slipping on the underbrush and ditches.
This winter I drove to a friends about 2 miles away and found I couldn't disengage the front drive for road travel.
The tractor is stored outside in the weather (bad me) and I assume the lever or mechanism is rusted but I don't want to damage it by just hammering it into position.
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to dismantle or grease the lever to allow it to work? I can live with only the 4WD but would prefer the 2WD option occasionally.

/ 4WD locked up #2  
I'm not sure about your B7100 but with my L5030 and L5740 I sometimes have to turn the steering wheel from right to left while disengaging the 4wd lever. This works every time for me.

/ 4WD locked up #3  
Knotbored,
I read something like this in another thread.

Can't seem to find it though..
He took a heat gun, warmed up the metal.

and then used some penetrating oil soaked it..
firm toothbrush and scrubbed to remove crud..
( I don't remember a mention of rust).

Pulled up and pushed down a few times.

Warmed, soaked, repeat.

this seems plausible..
If it was cold out, ice around the parts-- Frozen, oil would displace it and the heat would be enough to make it maliable..

But I don't know much about the 3030..
I did just check my L3400 and this seems to be a good start..

I could see my almost new (150 hours) 3400 have problems with something like this..
It is almost never out of 4WD..

On the 3400, there have been occasions where I have had to back up and go forward inorder to drop out of 4WD- But I did this when not on perfectly level ground...

Let us know how you get along...

Later,
J

/ 4WD locked up #4  
Drive backwards a little and see if you can get it out of four wheel drive.

/ 4WD locked up #5  
If you have a FEL, lift the front wheels free of the ground to see if that helps.

I have found with both of my B7100s (past and present) that sometimes it takes a little persuading to tickle the selector out of 4WD. The gearing on the B7100 is such that the front wheels are geared to travel somewhere around 5% further than the rears while in 4WD. This does tend to bind up the gearing a bit while traveling on a firm surface. So anything you can do to "unbind" the gearing is a plus for getting the selector lever out of 4WD.

Hope that helps ... best regards
Sherweld

/ 4WD locked up #6  
As stated above back up, it's in a bind and backing will get it back to normal, If it's run on a hard suface that won't allow the wheels to slip it will bind.

/ 4WD locked up #7  
I have found that when my front tires (L2550DT) become worn, it is harder to shift in and out of 4WD because of the bind in the drivetrain. When the fronts are worn, I think the front driveline is wanting to spin faster than the rear wheels. Because of the weight on the rear tires of mine (Calcium filled), in 4WD the rears dictate the speed that the front wheels will spin.

Make sure your front tires a fully inflated.This will make them as tall as possible.

You say you keep it in 4WD most of the time. I think this can cause the front tires to wear at an accelerated rate. Use it when you need it.

/ 4WD locked up #8  
I back up a bit, and it usually does the trick. I have to do this with most cars/trucks/tractors I operated with AWD commands.

/ 4WD locked up #9  
I agree with Sherweld. The easiest way to get the tractor out of 4wd is to lift the front tires off of the ground with the loader.

/ 4WD locked up #10  
Air pressure is the easiest way to compensate for tire diameter wear or improper tire matches.