Oil & Fuel fuel problem

/ fuel problem #1  

luc2121

Bronze Member
Tractor
2005 tc45da 1998 zetor 3320
i started my m8950dt this morning(it was -15c) started no problem. i let it warm up for about 5 minutes then started to move it to an area away from house to warm up, as i was driving , it stopped running. now it cranks but wont start. i loosened the fuel filter and there was fuel, checked at the lines going to the seperator and there was a bit of fuel comming out but no real pressure. i tried priming the pump with the lever but there was no real resistance?? checked fuel solenoid it's getting power and it has proper resistance. any idea what to check?? ideas thanks

/ fuel problem #2  
Are you treating your fuel? I have read about alot of problems with gelling of the fuel when its real cold out. The fuel gets thick and won't flow.

/ fuel problem
i had about half a tank of older fuel then i added some power service and more fuel, the tractor has 2 tanks not sure if it would have made it to the second tank, i'm going to change the fuel filter tomorrow and take apart the fuel pump, it bothers me that the priming lever doesn't seem to do anything maybe gelld up ?

/ fuel problem #4  
Greetings - I'll just relate my problem/solution because it sounds similar.

I started my B7800 up when it was about 5 degrees F and let it warm up a few minutes. Ran it down to the end of my driveway (about 15 minutes running time all told) where it promptly died. Turned over fine, but wouldn't re-start.

Gelled fuel was the problem. I tried adding more warm fuel with additive with no effect. (I left some fuel in the house for a few hours to warm it up.) Cleaned the fuel filter of all the gelled fuel and it would start up, but stop after just a few minutes. Ended up cleaning the filter three times.

Ultijmately the problem was that there was gelled fuel in the line between the tank and the filter. When I blew out that line back into the tank/warmer fuel, things worked like a charm. I may have churned up the fuel in the tank by all my blowing which might have helped mix it a bit.

Simple solution except that it was freakin cold out. Now I'll remember to treat my fuel!

Good luck with your issue.

/ fuel problem #5  
Get some Power Service 911-red bottle.Use per instructions-should fix this issue.Good luck!

/ fuel problem #6  
Sounds like the fuel gelled. Usually when this happens the engine will start and run fine for a while. Eventually the crystalized wax starts to plug up the fuel filter and at some point the engine starves for fuel and dies. Adding a regular anti-gel additive to already gelled fuel will have no effect. It is designed to prevent the wax crystals from clumping together, not reliquify already gelled fuel. A product like PS's 911 or TRC's DE-GEL SUPREME are designed to reliquify already gelled fuel. Follow the instructions on the bottle which will tell you to remove the fuel filter and add the additive directly into the filter and pour the remainder into the tank. Let it set for a while while the wax formations liquify and then try starting the tractor.

/ fuel problem #7  
The more fuel problem stories I read, the more convinced I am of the importance of using a fuel additive. I've decided to use it all year 'round to be on the safe side, but I can't imagine not using it when the temperature goes below freezing. I was lucky to have had a knowledgeable friend introduce me to Power Service in the white bottle, before I had to learn the hard way. I've never had any fuel problems, even in the winter. I feel sorry for the pain and suffering people have to go through, trying to correct gelled up filters and lines in the freezing cold. It would be a big help if tractor dealers in cold climates would let new owners know about the importance of additives to fight gelling in the winter. People that are new to diesels tend to be unaware of this phenomenum untill they experience it. I don't recall reading about it in the owner's manual, either. (Maybe I missed that chapter).

/ fuel problem #8  
You bring up a very good point Jim. Manufacturers and dealers do often seem to fall short in informing their customers about the possibility of cold weather operational problems. Being in the lubricants and fuel additive business it never ceases to amaze me how many people I will explain gelled fuel to that say "I never need it before" or "I don't need that stuff" and end up calling me in a panic wanting to know how fast I can get a anti-gel to them after they do have a problem. If you consider how much fuel the average tractor owner uses in one winter and the fact that it only cost a few cents per gallon to treat, it's about the cheapest insurance your ever going to buy.

/ fuel problem #9  
You bring up a very good point Jim. Manufacturers and dealers do often seem to fall short in informing their customers about the possibility of cold weather operational problems. Being in the lubricants and fuel additive business it never ceases to amaze me how many people I will explain gelled fuel to that say "I never need it before" or "I don't need that stuff" and end up calling me in a panic wanting to know how fast I can get a anti-gel to them after they do have a problem. If you consider how much fuel the average tractor owner uses in one winter and the fact that it only cost a few cents per gallon to treat, it's about the cheapest insurance your ever going to buy.
I treat my fuel with .58 ounces per gallon of PS white bottle yeaar round.
Do you think this will avoid gelling?

/ fuel problem #10  
What is the best place to purchase Power Service or other anti-gelling fuel additive? Does Wally-World carry it? Tractor Supply? Automotive stores?