Chains Logging chains

/ Logging chains #1  

Harv

Elite Member
California - S.F. East Bay & Sierra foothills
Tractor
Kubota L2500DT Standard Transmission
Well, still no word on when my tractor will arrive, so I'm easing my anxieties by shopping around for some of the basic paraphernalia that I thinkevery tractor owner should have.

One of my first tasks will involve moving several 10-ft sections of steel culvert pipe around. Diameters will be in the 12 to 24 inch range. There are also a couple of dead trees in the way that I would like to move elsewhere. Now, whether I drag with the towbar or lift with the loader, it seems like chains are the way to go.

I just spent a couple of hours driving around looking for chain only to discover yet another world I know nothing about. I had no idea there were so many sizes, finishes and prices!!! Then there's the slip hooks, grab hooks and a bunch of other doodads I don't recognize. (I gotta admit I love this stuff -- at Orchard Supply a sales guy came over 'cuz he thought he heard Tim Allen, oh, oh, oh /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif).

So I need some guidelines here. Is 3/8" big enough for my needs? It's rated at something like 2560 lbs, comes in plate or galvanized, and then there's that "system 7" stuff. Prices range from $2.50/ft to $6.99/ft.

I get the feeling I should be shopping at a farm supply or some kind of big-rig truck shop, but I haven't found either around here.

Anyway, I bet you all have piles of chains for using with your tractors. What are you using? Where'd you get it? How much did you pay?

HarvSig.gif

/ Logging chains #2  
Harv, I put a 3/8" grab hook on top of the front end loader bucket on each end and use a variety of chain lengths. The heaviest chains (and most used) I have are the 3/8", although I have several small light chains for the occasional light job. I use grab hooks for everything except for one slip hook on a cable for a choker.

Bird

/ Logging chains
Rich -

Wow! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif That's some chain! What kind is it? The highest rated 5/16 chain I can find (system 7) is only rated at 4700 lbs. Is there an actual type of chain called "logging chain? If so, where do you get it?

Thanks for the tip about labonville.com. I ordered their free catalog.

HarvSig.gif

/ Logging chains #5  
Storing chains on the tractor can be a problem. My solution is to get an ammo box about 4x12x8" and attach it to the side of the loader arm with 3 or 4 long stainless worm-gear clamps. The lock down clamp on the top of the ammo box is sturdy enough to keep the chain inside when the loader arm raises up to its maximun of 45 degrees or so; the lid has a good gasket on it to keep things dry. Drill a weep hole front and back in the bottom of the box so water the does get in runs out. Make pairs of slits on the side of the ammo box that go up against the loader arm and thread the clamps through there. I've never had it get in the way. Before chains were coming unhooked, falling off,getting jamed at the edges of the platform etc

RCH

/ Logging chains #6  
Rch, sounds like a great idea!! I going to give it a try. Mite you or any one have any ideas on how to or where to carry a chain saw?? Not in the bucket!! That cost to much/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif Had a older tractor and just put a box on the hood but I don't want to do that with the new one.
Rich

/ Logging chains #7  
8/25

I know Harv isn't local to me (nice picture on your bio page), but if anyone wants 3/8 G7 chain for $1.75/ft (US made) in the Richmond, VA area, Chesterfield Trading has it. I bought 150 ft the other day, now to cut it into useable lengths /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif.

That can be a challenge I am told, esp with the G8 and grade 100 chains. My chain was cut by a guy stepping on a 3+ft bolt cutter on the concrete floor with much grunting. And it was G7.

Bird, who was it that recommended slip hooks at either end of the loader bucket with a grab hook in the middle, thought it was you but yours is different?

I bought the weldable slip hooks (expensive, made in Sweden) for the ends of my bucket, but some folks have done it with regular materials bolted on, etc.

Harv, there is an earlier thread where guys like Bird, Mark Chalkley and others talked in detail about using chains creatively and safely. I learned a lot and recommend it (check the archives). You can be severely injured by these seemingly innocuous things in combination with the power of a tractor.

HTH,

Jim

/ Logging chains
Jim -

That's a very good price on 3/8 chain!
saving.gif

The best price I've found locally is $2.50/ft. Tell you what -- shove as much of that Chesterfield Trading chain as you can into one of those Express Mail envelopes and you can ship it to me for only $3.25!

You know, I thought I had searched the archives for chain discussions, but apparently I didn't set the search to go back far enough. I just tried again and found tons of posts on this very subject. Sorry to bother everybody with a question that's already been answered to death. /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

After reading the discussions about various ways of attaching chain hooks to the top of the loader bucket, however, I now have a new question -- I like the idea of the quick-attach bucket forks such as offered by Gearmore:
BUCFRK.jpg

These forks require that you attach their special hooks to the top of your bucket so you can just "scoop up" the forks and away you go. The question is, are those hooks also sufficient for chain use? Anybody seen them up close?

HarvSig.gif

/ Logging chains #9  
Harv,

Those types of forks are pretty common and I think both Del and Bird have sets for their tractors. You do need to remember that on a small tractor you setting the wieght even farther in front of the tractor and need some serious counter wieght on the rear. If you plan a lot of heavy lifting a quick release for the loader bucket and a set of forks that replace the bucket is the better set up.

I think your signature with tractor is great!

/ Logging chains #10  
jgh, like you, I remember someone posting a message about using the slip hooks on their bucket, but I don't remember who it was. I've always used the grab hooks.

Bird