BX Rotary Cutter Dilemma

/ BX Rotary Cutter Dilemma #1  

glennmac

Veteran Member
Tractor
2003 Kubota L3430
Does anyone have experience with a rotary brush cutter on their BX. The owner's manual specifies no more than a 42" cutter weighing no more than 300lbs. For those who don't know BX's, the limiting factors seem to be that the hitch arms are physically shorter and less spreadable than regular compacts, and the lift capacity 24" behind the lift point is only 680 lbs. (48" brush cutters are about 84" long with, I assume, a center of gravity about 42" from the hitch point.) However, there are few readily available cutters in a 42" size--though I have found Bush Hog, Rhino and Howse, in literature if not in stock. However, none of these are less than 300 lbs. My dealer says he has sold Woods 48" cutters for the BX (which weigh 385 or 445 lbs, confusingly depending on which Woods brochure you read), but admits that he has to drill holes in the cutter A-frame to accomodate the BX's short hitch arms. I have also heard that both Woods and Landpride may be coming out next season with cutters and perhaps other implements just for the BX and expected competitive clones. But I don't really want to wait until next spring to attack my evil phragmites. So, again, do any of you have experiences, good or bad, with the currently available line of cutters on a BX, or any opinions on this dilemma?

Glenn

/ BX Rotary Cutter Dilemma #2  
I don't have a BX, but del does, so maybe he will chime in here quickly.

I did research a few sites and found the 42 inch mower from Bush Hog. It is a little overweight for the BX, and may require a little weight on the front unless you have a front end loader. I also noticed that they make small pull type PTO driven mowers to allow a little larger mower to be used than a tractor can safely handle on the 3 point.

Let the dealer drill the new holes so it lifts and works correctly. If that is all the modification it takes to work, then that is pretty minor. I would not buy a larger mower than Kubota recommends. That said, the 4 foot should work ok if the grass is not too tall. I just don't like exceeding the manufacturers recommendations, because they would like to specify that everyone could use a 7 ft mower, but most compacts cannot easily & safely.

/ BX Rotary Cutter Dilemma
Wen, thanks. To add more info, I do have a loader and I intend to cut lots of woody-brushy-brambley stuff as well as grass and reeds.

Glenn

/ BX Rotary Cutter Dilemma #4  
Glennmac, You might look at the kingkutter brand rotary it seems like I saw a 40" version in their lineup of products although I did not recall the weight.
http://www.kingkutter.com/index.asp

/ BX Rotary Cutter Dilemma #5  
I have a belly mower for my BX and hopefully will not get a brush cutter those things make kind of a mess and I'm not partial to the dust. My current "brushcutter" consists of the blade on the L35, the rake on the BX and some grass seed and my JD mower!

That being said, I'd suggest doing an archive check on BX, someone posted that their dealer told them Kubota is working on an update to those arms or links to solve the problem, or get a hold of Kubota Cust Service and start digging your heels in (being persistant). "Normal" 3pt implements WILL go on the BX, but no where near as easily as on say a B7500. I don't think Kubota had it in mind that you would need "special" implements in fact just a few days ago I was travelling and stopped by a dealer and asked them about what implements could be used on a BX and they said "anything" tha the other "small" tractors could use. I resisted the urge to say "Show Me" since I already had a BX. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I don't know if it's the length, on mine it seems more that the links are bent wrong to get maximum spread. I'm sure they have the links as close as possible to increase the "liftable-weight-24-inches-behind" figure but cramming everything together makes no sense either.

/ BX Rotary Cutter Dilemma #6  
Does anyone out there have a rotary cutter on the back of their BX? I would like to find out what your experience is with rotary cutting with this tractor.

THANKS

/ BX Rotary Cutter Dilemma #7  
I use a 48" Bush Hog rotary cutter, which weighs something over 400 lbs. with my BX2200. It handles the mower fine. I am astonished at how well the BX handles the mower.

I generally set the height of the mower where I want to cut and then set the TPH lowering speed control to full off to hold that position. That way the mower is being held at a constant height by the tractor and the mower "crazy wheel".

Incidentally, I have a FEL which I mount in some situations where I would have to raise and lower the mower. Gives me a little extra front ballast, especially on uneven and hilly terrain where four wheel drive is needed.

TomPh

/ BX Rotary Cutter Dilemma #8  
I use the Kingkutter XB rotory cutter, which they designed specifically for the BX, on my BX. It has worked very, very well.

/ BX Rotary Cutter Dilemma #9  
This is what must be done with both the BX and the 2410 to a KK cutter to make it work--minor problem--no it fits both tractors well enough. See pic--I am not usre who or what KK thinks can use the standard pins--the ones way up and out but it is neither a BX or a 2410. Maybe a Catapiller or maybe some other giant machine but nothing I will ever have. With the pins in and lowered all is well. J

/ BX Rotary Cutter Dilemma #10  
Oh, by the way, this is a very old thread--ck the date--Glenn's solution was a 2910, he took the BX back!! J