LED Headlights for B7100

/ LED Headlights for B7100 #1  

Sherweld

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7100
The headlights on the old gear jammer B7100 are pretty pathetic, as is the equally weak "dynamo".

So the idea of adding additional lights is pretty much out of the question unless;

1) more output can be had from the present generating system or
2) the present lights can be altered to put out the same amount of light with considerably less current draw, and gain the ability to add more light sources and not overtax the present generating system.

So the experiment here for starters, is replace the 1156 incandescent bulb with an 1156 LED to test the actual light output.

The results are that the light color is considerably different so using the camera is a little deceiving because of the way it handles different colors depending on the camera setting.

I took several shots at different manual exposure settings to try and obtain the clearest comparison. (shown below)

I tried to get some comparison camera shots (one "bulb" at a time) of a cedar fence about 30 ft away but the color difference made the results pretty inconclusive. My own perception is that the illumination is almost the same, with a slight edge perhaps to the incandescent, but again that may have been the color difference because of the reddish fence color.

A better reflective surface inside the existing headlight would be a big help in either case if anybody has any ideas.

All in all, I am happy with the results because I now have several more options to customize a lighting scheme with my present dynamo.

Regards
Sherweld

Attachments

• LED Lights.jpg
    LED Lights.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 1,472
   / LED Headlights for B7100 #2  
Nice Idea...Have you measured how many watts the two types draw just to compare???

/ LED Headlights for B7100 #3  
I did the l.e.d. conversion of headlights on my 7100 a couple of years ago. Like you said the light is a different color. I'd like something a little brighter but these do the trick. I think I got mine off the web from a place called Superbirte or something like that.

/ LED Headlights for B7100
Nice Idea...Have you measured how many watts the two types draw just to compare???

The best information I can come up with is that the 1156 incandescent = 21W and the 1156 LED = 2.4W.

So I can feel pretty comfortable playing with several other lighting schemes when the replacements come in at somewhere around 1/8th of the original.

Sherweld

/ LED Headlights for B7100 #5  
   / LED Headlights for B7100 #6  
I think if you're looking for more light and less drain on your battery you need to look at LED work lamps I know Grote and Truck-Lite Make some. Be prepared to spend 100 a piece for them.

I think the difference is they are made with higher quality LEDs that are designed to project farther. I don't personally have any yet but they will probably be in my future. I don"t think more reflection will help your headlights much LEDs don'y rely upon reflection very much.

/ LED Headlights for B7100 #7  
I have been playing with leds a bit and followed other trends as well.

IMHO the best is to go for complete new assemblies and not just bulbs.

LED's by nature shine only forewards and don't need reflectors but when just replacing a bulb the led's need to shine to the side in order to be reflected by the 'mirror' inside of the headlight assy.

I recently priced out nice GROTE units in the $50. range that were available in 12 or 24volts, flood, spot and trapizoid.
They look kinda like those chrome fog lights (squareish 3 x 4") that you often see at auto parts or Wallmart and drew a mere 2.5 !

I know the B7100 and the light assy is very $$$ (the bulb is a motorcycle bulb)

/ LED Headlights for B7100 #8  
Where did you find the Grotes for 50 dollars.

/ LED Headlights for B7100 #9  
Where did you find the Grotes for 50 dollars.

At my local UAP outlet, perhaps an error then?
or a different 'promo' model?

I did note that the caseings were not a casting but rather looked like the chromed fog light shells made of pressed steel and chrome plated.

I do plan on purchasing a couple next time.(if still available)

/ LED Headlights for B7100 #10  
The lights on my BX 2350 are nice and bright! But I did have a problem with my head lights on my LT after I put a snow blower on it. I took one of the bulbs to my local Sanel's and told them that I wanted a hight out-put bulb. What they gave me was not a led but it was 100x better than what came with the machine!:D