Anyone use a york rake w/BX22?

/ Anyone use a york rake w/BX22? #1  

ChrisNJ

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4310 e-hydro
Reason I'm asking is I'm real close to be able to get a BX22 or 2410, but just used me neighbors old Ford 8N with an 8' rake and it sucked. It does have position control to! As soon as I got anything susbstaintial in the rake, the big rear ag tires would just spin (one of them anyway). I realize it's an old dog, but I found that I needed to raise the rake just a little all the time to just keep moving forward. Will the BX w/ 4x4 and smaller rake do better? Also can the BX be able to just partally raise the rake a little bit or is is just all up or all down? I know the 2410 has PC. If you can't just raise it a bit at a time w/the BX I think my rake tasks wouldn't work very well with out position control. Thanks in advance for any advice. Oh yeah, I'm just trying to clear a 10th mi. oval track that has a lot of stone and small rock, and also leveling it, by taking out small humbs, etc.. I found that if I got the speed up on the 8N it worked a lot better, but still bogged down (spin a tire) once it got 1/4 to half full of loose soil. I now the 241o would be better, but I only have 1 acre to mow (a lot of trees) and all other duties would be light farm stuff, maintaining trail, etc... so thingking the 2410 would just be too much??? Plus I would need to remove/add the FEL/backhoe a lot, making the BX better???

/ Anyone use a york rake w/BX22? #2  
Chris,
I use a 5' older style York rake on my B7100 and it does a great job..driveway repair to feathering out my better halfs flower garden project.

Attachments

• 2-150060-Graden11.jpg
    2-150060-Graden11.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 124
   / Anyone use a york rake w/BX22? #3  
Just little time w/a rake sure saves a lot of time w/a hand rake. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Last edited:
   / Anyone use a york rake w/BX22? #4  
Chris, I don't know much about raking with a BX. But I've done a lot of grading with mine this spring, with a 5' rear blade. It works great.The 3-pt hydraulics do not have position control, as you noted. But that doesn't mean the 3-pt is just up or down. On a position control machine, the position of the 3-pt is proportional to the position of the control. On a BX, you can engage the 3-pt control up or down briefly, and the 3-pt will move just a little. Returning the control to the center position locks the 3-pt at its current position.I've found the up sensitivity to be fairly crude. But the down sensitivity is controlable via a throttle valve which controls the rate of descent.All-in-all, the 3-pt system on the BX works really well.

/ Anyone use a york rake w/BX22? #5  
Chris,

I own a BX and from your description of needs, it would be perfect. The implements, including mower deck come off quick. --Get the 60" deck. The mower is without question the finest I have used with a perfect cut. Also, I easily tow a 72" Wood landscape rake (285 lbs). Actually, I am having it cut down to 5' by my local welding shop. Even at 6', the BX handles it with authority. I fill the loader with dirt to aid traction to the front wheels and it has no problems pulling lots of material. When buying a "York" rake, you must get the gauge wheels. Landscape rakes are a waste of time & money without them in my opinion. Just to confuse things, the 2410 would be a nice option too, but the deck is much more difficult to take on and off than the BX (so I'm told) and the cut is not as good. It's more $ too. I love my little BX and it does everything I ask of it, including raking our shared 1/4 mile road and our driveway with excellent results. One other thing to consider is that the BX can easily be towed by my Toyota 4Runner. I'm not sure I'd try that with the 2410 for any distances. I'd have to purchase a bigger trailer too.

Good luck with your tractor. How lucky we are to be able to make these decisions.

--Jim

/ Anyone use a york rake w/BX22? #6  
Jim, what kind of trailer do you use to haul your BX? Can you post a picture? Thanks

/ Anyone use a york rake w/BX22?
thanks jim and ed, you answered my questions. sounds like to PC is not as big an issue as i thought.

/ Anyone use a york rake w/BX22? #8  
My trailer is too small actually. I'd be ashamed to post a pic :) I will purchase a tandem at some point. There are lots of posts on this subject. Do a simple search for "trailer" and you'll find lots of BX related trailer info.

--Jim