Snow Snow blower gear box fluid

/ Snow blower gear box fluid #1  

16valex

Silver Member
Tractor
bx23
Have you guys change your BX2750 snow blower gear box fluid lately? This is the first time I changed the fluid and man it was like milky pea soup. I'm glad I did it but just wonder if your old fluid looks black or milky like mine.

/ Snow blower gear box fluid #2  
I think most will be milky
Snow blower gear boxes will get warm when in use. That will melt the snow around them, the water will stay on the gear box and as everything cools inside the box, that water will be drawn into it, through the vent.
So changing the lube is going to be necessary to reduce water contamination. KennyV

/ Snow blower gear box fluid
I think most will be milky
Snow blower gear boxes will get warm when in use. That will melt the snow around them, the water will stay on the gear box and as everything cools inside the box, that water will be drawn into it, through the vent.
So changing the lube is going to be necessary to reduce water contamination. KennyV

I'm thinking the same here, anyways I put in some Redline 75-90 synthetic gear oil, I think it's gonna love it.

/ Snow blower gear box fluid #4  
I changed before the snow season this fall and it was not milky. It was slightly dirty. I probably ran the blower for 20 hours last snow season.

/ Snow blower gear box fluid #5  
I have a BX2750B snowblower for my BX23. No where in the manual does it say how much gear oil that it takes or how to check the level. Do you fill it all the way up? On the mower gearboxes it has an overflow point to show proper level but I do not see one on the BX2750.

/ Snow blower gear box fluid #6  
On my 9 year old 2750, the fill plug would loosen but the drain plug would not.

I used my I/O boat suction changer to draw most of the fluid out and replaced with Amsoil gear lube.

It only took 10 minutes.

/ Snow blower gear box fluid #7  
anyone know how much oil to put in? do we top it off?

/ Snow blower gear box fluid #8  
There should be 3 threaded holes. One for fill/vent (top), one for fill level(middle front), and one for drain (bottom) at least my Kubota blower does. Fill/vent is bolt type plug while fill level and drain are set screw type. Fill until it starts coming out the fill level hole and button it up. I always brush off the gear box top with a snow brush after use, helps keep moisture out of vent. I also use outboard motor lower unit lube in my gear box.

Last edited:
   / Snow blower gear box fluid #9  
Have you guys change your BX2750 snow blower gear box fluid lately? This is the first time I changed the fluid and man it was like milky pea soup. I'm glad I did it but just wonder if your old fluid looks black or milky like mine.

I recently got a blower that sat outside, and had about 3 seasons use on it, then sat outside for at least another year before I got it. I checked the gear box fluid and it was clean and clear - level was good and the fluid looked new. This was NOT a BX2750 blower, however.

JayC