B3030 Power Steering Problem? or not?

/ B3030 Power Steering Problem? or not? #1  

WaxMan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L 3240 cab BH 92 backhoe
Just tried out my new steering wheel spinner tonight in the snow. I was really impressed of how easy it made steering with one hand on the fel control the other on the power knob. I even called my son our "you have to try this" after trying he agreed.
Then I discovered a problem the knob once installed at the 10 o'clock position with the wheels straight was now at 6 o'clock, then 4 the 8 .
If I kept turning once the wheels stopped i can still turn the steering wheel more and change the clock position back to 10 o'clock.
Once back in the garage I looked up the steering in the shop manual , it says that there is no mechanical connection like a rack in pinion all done by hydraulics. The manual says when the motor is off it locks so you can have manual steering. I can't turn my wheels with the tractor off, the steering wheel will keep turning hard but will skip and make hissing sound and the front wheels try and turn but the steering wheel keep turning not easy but turns.
Is this normal with this type of power steering or do I have a problem.
The manual says to check for low fluid or air in system, I have plenty if fluid.
Does anyone know anything about this?
Thank you for any help.

223113332_o.jpg

/ B3030 Power Steering Problem? or not? #2  
Everything is fine, it's just the way hydrostatic steering works;)

/ B3030 Power Steering Problem? or not?
Thanks for the quick reply, so when it's not running you can't turn the wheels?
I never notice any problem until the spinner made a reference point.

/ B3030 Power Steering Problem? or not? #4  
Wax,

Was as shocked/dismayed as you til I read posts regarding. It is true there is no cure - as you know I would have found it by now. It is how our hydraulic steering works. I reach for the knob where ever it is now when I need it & no longer give it a second thought.

Dave

/ B3030 Power Steering Problem? or not?
Wax,

Was as shocked/dismayed as you til I read posts regarding. It is true there is no cure - as you know I would have found it by now. It is how our hydraulic steering works. I reach for the knob where ever it is now when I need it & no longer give it a second thought.

Dave
Well i guess that's good news , thought I'd need a steering controller Price $868.00
Dave the knob is fantastic so much easer, a joy to use , thanks for letting me know about them. If you didn't I would still not know what I was missing. There is another thread somewhere about steering wheel spinners and half the people don't want one , I wonder if they ever tried one.
Thanks again

Last edited:
   / B3030 Power Steering Problem? or not? #6  
Didn't I read on here somewhere that somebody had three spinner knobs on their wheel for this very reason?

/ B3030 Power Steering Problem? or not? #7  
I can turn the wheels when the engine is off - have done it a lot when working on the tractor in the garage, installing front chains, adjusting the chains, etc. There is a muffled clicking sound and feel to the steering wheel when turning the wheels with the engine off.

But it is true that the hydraulics allow the steering wheel position to change over time. Glad I didn't get one of those knobs - I've thought about it, but since the power steering is so easy, I've never really been too inclined to add the knob. Now I definitely won't add the knob.

I have used a steering wheel knob in the past on a forklift. The knobs do make it easier to use, but if I jumped on and started going with my hand on the wheel instead of the knob, I ended up whacking my forearm with the knob when it came around, and would then end up with a nice bruise for a few days. Did that at least once a month.

/ B3030 Power Steering Problem? or not? #8  
I can turn the wheels when the engine is off - have done it a lot when working on the tractor in the garage, installing front chains, adjusting the chains, etc. There is a muffled clicking sound and feel to the steering wheel when turning the wheels with the engine off.

But it is true that the hydraulics allow the steering wheel position to change over time. Glad I didn't get one of those knobs - I've thought about it, but since the power steering is so easy, I've never really been too inclined to add the knob. Now I definitely won't add the knob.

I have used a steering wheel knob in the past on a forklift. The knobs do make it easier to use, but if I jumped on and started going with my hand on the wheel instead of the knob, I ended up whacking my forearm with the knob when it came around, and would then end up with a nice bruise for a few days. Did that at least once a month.
Yep with PS there hain't no reason for a knob.

/ B3030 Power Steering Problem? or not? #9  
When using the B26 I just palm the wheel with or without gloves on and I have complete control and only need one hand.:)
The Gotcha Man

/ B3030 Power Steering Problem? or not? #10  
Yep with PS there hain't no reason for a knob.

I have to disagree. Been using a knob on tractors & boats for many years. Even with PS, I find it's invaluable and makes driving much easier.

For me, I won't have a tractor or boat without one, regardless of PS.