Glow plug and battery question

/ Glow plug and battery question #1  

fred98050

Tractor
BX24
I have noticed that my BX24 is getting harder to start. I have the glow plug on for about 20 second and no start. The engine cranks just fine. It takes about 4 to 5 attempts in order to start. I sometimes leave the glow plug on for a minute and still no start.

Sounds like either the battery or the glow plug is not up to par here. Like I can keep the engine cranking without any problem four five times, sounds to me like it could be the plug.

Question: Can a glow plug be working half way or is it working or not working at all?

1)- The BX24 is almost 4 years old
2)- 10F or 50F same problem
3)- I have always used fuel additive (4 years)
4)- Fuel filters have been changed 45 hrs ago
5)- I can hear the fuel pump running
6)- The glow plug has never been replaced.

Thank you.

Fred

/ Glow plug and battery question #2  
I have noticed that my BX24 is getting harder to start. I have the glow plug on for about 20 second and no start. The engine cranks just fine. It takes about 4 to 5 attempts in order to start. I sometimes leave the glow plug on for a minute and still no start.

Sounds like either the battery or the glow plug is not up to par here. Like I can keep the engine cranking without any problem four five times, sounds to me like it could be the plug.

Question: Can a glow plug be working half way or is it working or not working at all?

1)- The BX24 is almost 4 years old
2)- 10F or 50F same problem
3)- I have always used fuel additive (4 years)
4)- Fuel filters have been changed 45 hrs ago
5)- I can hear the fuel pump running
6)- The glow plug has never been replaced.

Thank you.

Fred

There should be 3 plugs and it sounds like they need to be tested. Also 4 years is nearing the end of a batterys life.

/ Glow plug and battery question #3  
glow plug systems are easy to check. First off, there is one glow plug per cylinder. They are controlled by a relay which is actuated by the key switch when it is held in the preheat position. Use a test light to see if you are getting power to the buss bar. (bar which connects the glow plugs together located on the left side parallel to the valve cover) If no power is present when key in the preheat position you need to locate the problem in the supply circuit. If power is present (key in preheat position) remove the buss bar, connect the test light clip to the positive battery post, and touch the probe to each individual glow plug. The test light should light if the plug is good. There is a actual ohm reading for the plugs but I do not have the spec.
These are quick simple checks to help you locate the issue.
If they all test OK the simple way you should check each plug with a ohm meter. They can degrade in performance as they age.
Let us know how you make out,
Dave

/ Glow plug and battery question
Thanks a lot for the info. I'll try to troubleshoot and let you know.

Fred

/ Glow plug and battery question
So, I checked the glowplugs bus and all 3 of them are getting power during pre-heat. I had charged the battery over night just in case and sure enough it started at first crank (temp last night was around 29 deg).

Conclusion: even if the engine cranks 4 to 5 times it looks like the battery was to weak to pre heat properly. Don't really understand but I guess that pre heating the glow plugs is extremely demanding.

I'll get a new battery this week.

Thanks everybody for your help.

Fred

BTW: Any suggestion on preferred battery.

/ Glow plug and battery question #7  
Based on experiencer with f-350's, belive plugs were probally firing ok, engine crank speed is critical for starting, slower crank means less heat in combustion chamber, harder to fire. Does no take much to make a diesel crank no start. Good luck, battery probally justified.

/ Glow plug and battery question #8  
BTW: Any suggestion on preferred battery.

Consumer reports did a battery comparison in November '08, if you subscribe you can read all the results. Their quick picks for cold weather auto batteries were:
Kirkland, Everstart, NAPA

They call out Everstart as particularly good values.