Hydraulic cylinder & line leaks

/ Hydraulic cylinder & line leaks #1  

Chris

Tractor
Kubota B7100 w/lots of attachments
I have noticed some leakage from one or more hydraulic cylinders and line fittings on my 20 yr old KUB219 loader. Is re-building a cylinder a DIY job? Are there re-build kits available from Kubota? Some of the hydraulic lines are cracked from dryrot and the braided insides are showing through. I have seen some local "hose houses" in our rural area that advertise "hydraulic assemblies while you wait". Do you just take them in a line at a time and they match the length and fittings from the old lines, or just how do you go about it?

Thanks, Chris in SW Va

/ Hydraulic cylinder & line leaks #2  
I'd just take all the hoses, at once, that need replacing to a place that makes up the hydraulic hoses. Of course, since I'd never remember which ones to put back where, I'd tie some tags on the hoses, cylinders, and valve to mark them before I took them off; you know "A" to "A", "B" to "B", etc. And, yes, a dealer can get new seals (my dealer put new seals in a couple of cylinders once under warranty) but I've not done any myself yet, so can't answer that question.

Bird

/ Hydraulic cylinder & line leaks #3  
Marking the hoses is the smart thing to do,it will make life alot easier when putting things back together. The seals on the cylinders go bad for a few different reasons. One thing to look at is the chrome on the arms if its rusted and or pitted new seals will wear out in a hurry. I dont have the luxury of a big barn yet and some things must be kept outside. I spray stor & lube on the arms to help keep rust at bay on the exposed arms,It seems to help. Kits can be bought for some cylinders and installed without to much problem if your handy with tools. Some cylinders your better off to bring to the shop and let them rebuild it for you. A time versus money thing. Gordon

/ Hydraulic cylinder & line leaks
Thanks, Bird and gordon. When I take the hoses in for replacement, I'll ask the "hose hose" about bringing in the cylinders for an overhaul.

Chris