Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota BX24

Default Re: Fuel Consumption???

Heh, It seems like everybody is bent on having power on 24/7. I am sure even the gas standalone needs a break from running for power. If it is dark out, who in the right mind would be working outside with thier tractors in the storm? I'd leave it by house running the pto gen until I go to sleep and shut it down for the night. In the morning the gen would be running again for breakfast and when its time to do cleanup, I am sure the fridge/freezer/furnace is ran long enough to survive for the day and most houses should have daylight to be able to see in the house. So - whats the need for power 24/7? other then health reasons ? Sorry guys, I support pto gennys even though i have a standalone gasser since I had it before I bought the tractor.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    B3030

A couple of years ago our power was out for about 15 hrs in the middle of winter. I ran my generator all night to keep the furnace on. Also, a big concern of mine is when we have a power outage due to a thunderstorm. If we get 3-4 inches of rain in a short period of time I need power to run the sump pump so the basement does not flood. Last summer we had over 6 inches of rain in 8 hrs. The power was out for 28 hrs and my generator ran the entire time. My basement still flooded due to the extreme amount of rain but it was because the sump pump could not keep up with the water that was coming in. We only lost the carpet in the basement but it would have been much worse with no power and more water.

Super Star Member
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by radioman View Post
    Heh, It seems like everybody is bent on having power on 24/7. I am sure even the gas standalone needs a break from running for power. If it is dark out, who in the right mind would be working outside with thier tractors in the storm? I'd leave it by house running the pto gen until I go to sleep and shut it down for the night. In the morning the gen would be running again for breakfast and when its time to do cleanup, I am sure the fridge/freezer/furnace is ran long enough to survive for the day and most houses should have daylight to be able to see in the house. So - whats the need for power 24/7? other then health reasons ? Sorry guys, I support pto gennys even though i have a standalone gasser since I had it before I bought the tractor.
    The problem with sutting down the gen over nite is it leaves you with no heat if you have a forced air gas furnace.
    Furnace requires elect to run the blower and operate the thermostat.
    If the blower quits running the gas shuts off and the flame goes out.
    Tractors 2003 Kubota BX1500 / 2004 Kubota Bx23 / 2005 Kubota BX1500.
    Attachments 60'' Front Blade/48'' Rear Tiller/FEL/Back Hoe /
    60'' MMM/Clamp on Forks/48'' MMM
    South of Canton Ohio L .B

Tractor
    Kabota BX2350

I would shut the generator down at about 10pm, (I have a wood stove). But my neighbor had to have his run 24/7 do to heat!

Super Star Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by nh DRAGON
    my neighbor had to have his run 24/7 do to heat!
    Keeping warm would be my primary reason for a generator .
    If I had to shut it down and freeze there wouldn't be any reason for me to have one.

Quote Originally Posted by LBrown59 View Post

3*A stand alone frees up the tractor for other task plus the tractor don't have to set out in the storm for days keeping the lites on.

Maybe you missed that the OP already has 2 tractors and was wondering which of the 2 was best to hang a PTO genny on.

Tractor
    Kubota L3540

Quote Originally Posted by john_bud View Post
    Maybe you missed that the OP already has 2 tractors and was wondering which of the 2 was best to hang a PTO genny on.
    I don't think that a point has been missed, it is a general comment, not specific to the OP, for anyone else considering there options. The OP has already made his decision to go with PTO which I am sure in his case makes great sense for his specific applications or is OK with the limitations of a PTO generator.

Super Star Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by billhall View Post
    I don't think that a point has been missed, it is a general comment, not specific to the OP, for anyone else considering there options.
    Good observation.
    Quote Originally Posted by john_bud View Post
    No I didn't :
    I have 3 tractors but If I were to purchase a generator I'd still prefer a diesel stand alone .
    Why A stand alone.
    set it up / hook it up once and you're done with it.
    In the event of a power failure flip the switch start it up = lites on with no digging out a tractor and hooking up a generator to it.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    B3030HSDC

Hi,
    Ideally I would go with using the larger engine. Fuel consumption would be equal if not better on the larger tractor simply because it is not trying to put the cylinders through the head at max RPM. A small engine at high rpm is going to go through fuel a bit more than a slightly larger engine at lower RPM. Also you have a much better reserve with the larger unit.
    Jeff
    B-3030HSDC With Turf and R4 tire sets, 72"MMM with Gator Blades, LA403 60" Bucket, Rear Work Lights, LED warning lights, R&B Tiltmeter

Tractor
    Kubota B2650, Kubota BX1850, RTV900XT Worksite, 1942 Farmall H, 1950 Ford 8N

Quote Originally Posted by Chessie View Post
    Hi,
    Ideally I would go with using the larger engine. Fuel consumption would be equal if not better on the larger tractor simply because it is not trying to put the cylinders through the head at max RPM. A small engine at high rpm is going to go through fuel a bit more than a slightly larger engine at lower RPM. Also you have a much better reserve with the larger unit.
    Jeff
    That's exactly how I was thinking but in the back of my head I was thinking maybe the smaller engine would be better because it takes less fuel to power it but at the same time its turning 6 or 700 more rpms. I gues the next time we get an outage I will use the L3400 and keep track of the gallons used, then the next time use the BX and see where it comes out. Thanks Bob

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast