Oil & Fuel Fuel Consumption???

/ Fuel Consumption??? #1  

newtattoobob

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650, Kubota BX1850, RTV900XT Worksite, Kubota U17,1942 Farmall H, 1950 Ford 8N
I just got a pto generator that will fit on both my tractors, L3400 and a BX1850. Both have enough hp to power my home during an outage. My question is which tractor do you think will use less fuel. At first I was thinking definately the BX, but then I thought about the engine speed. The L3400 has to run about 2300-2400rpm while the BX has to run about 3100rpm. Anyone have experience with these generators? Thanks

/ Fuel Consumption??? #2  
Friction goes up linearly with rotational speed. The lower rpm engine will have less friction and slightly (and I do mean, slightly) lower fuel consumption.

/ Fuel Consumption??? #3  
Sounds like a neat implement, but man that will rack serious hours on your tractor if you have to use it much. For portable power it is the cat's meow. For back-up power to a house, yikes.

/ Fuel Consumption??? #4  
isn't the L tractor quieter at lower rpm's? Which tractor is used the most ? I would either use the queitest tractor or the tractor with lowest hours to balance out the total usage.

/ Fuel Consumption??? #7  
I know you're not going to like hearing this, but a PTO generator seems like a waste to me. During the last ice storm I was without power for 6 days. I ran my $400, 5 KW genreator conservatively and still put 50 hours on it. Why you want to put that many high rpm hours on your expensive tractor just sitting there is beyond me.

/ Fuel Consumption??? #8  
I don't have any experience with generators, but I'll bet they will use about the same amount of fuel if you are running a load on the generator all the time. The BX1850 wil have to work much harder to produce the same amount of electricity as the L3400 would. In my experience with trucks, a large high horsepower engine (within reason) will use less fuel when loaded than a small underpowered engine.

/ Fuel Consumption??? #9  
I would buy a cheap generator at costco and put it in place with my tractor.

...and what are the odds that your Costco generator will work when you need it? As a retailer that sells cheap generators... I'll be the first to stand up and say that most of whats out there is total crap... even some with some very reconizable names (Cummins / Onan). And we do tell our customers that. This is what people seem to want to buy though for around the home. I'd own a PTO generator without question.

/ Fuel Consumption??? #10  
I know you're not going to like hearing this, but a PTO generator seems like a waste to me. During the last ice storm I was without power for 6 days. I ran my $400, 5 KW genreator conservatively and still put 50 hours on it. Why you want to put that many high rpm hours on your expensive tractor just sitting there is beyond me.
Besides that The tractor is tied up so you can't use it for anything during the tied up hours.