Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota B2650, Kubota BX1850, RTV900XT Worksite, 1942 Farmall H, 1950 Ford 8N

Default Fuel Consumption???

I just got a pto generator that will fit on both my tractors, L3400 and a BX1850. Both have enough hp to power my home during an outage. My question is which tractor do you think will use less fuel. At first I was thinking definately the BX, but then I thought about the engine speed. The L3400 has to run about 2300-2400rpm while the BX has to run about 3100rpm. Anyone have experience with these generators? Thanks

Default Re: Fuel Consumption???

Friction goes up linearly with rotational speed. The lower rpm engine will have less friction and slightly (and I do mean, slightly) lower fuel consumption.

Tractor
    Kubota BX-23

Sounds like a neat implement, but man that will rack serious hours on your tractor if you have to use it much. For portable power it is the cat's meow. For back-up power to a house, yikes.

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

isn't the L tractor quieter at lower rpm's? Which tractor is used the most ? I would either use the queitest tractor or the tractor with lowest hours to balance out the total usage.

Super Star Member
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

Another option alternate between tractors.
    Quote Originally Posted by radioman View Post
    isn't the L tractor quieter at lower rpm's? Which tractor is used the most ? I would either use the queitest tractor or the tractor with lowest hours to balance out the total usage.
    Tractors 2003 Kubota BX1500 / 2004 Kubota Bx23 / 2005 Kubota BX1500.
    Attachments 60'' Front Blade/48'' Rear Tiller/FEL/Back Hoe /
    60'' MMM/Clamp on Forks/48'' MMM
    South of Canton Ohio L .B

Tractor
    Kubota L3540

I would buy a cheap generator at costco and put it in place with my tractor.

Tractor
    Kubota L3540 Cab

I know you're not going to like hearing this, but a PTO generator seems like a waste to me. During the last ice storm I was without power for 6 days. I ran my $400, 5 KW genreator conservatively and still put 50 hours on it. Why you want to put that many high rpm hours on your expensive tractor just sitting there is beyond me.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2350

I don't have any experience with generators, but I'll bet they will use about the same amount of fuel if you are running a load on the generator all the time. The BX1850 wil have to work much harder to produce the same amount of electricity as the L3400 would. In my experience with trucks, a large high horsepower engine (within reason) will use less fuel when loaded than a small underpowered engine.
    Kubota BX2350
    54" MMM

Elite Member
    Parts Supplier

Quote Originally Posted by billhall View Post
    I would buy a cheap generator at costco and put it in place with my tractor.
    ...and what are the odds that your Costco generator will work when you need it? As a retailer that sells cheap generators... I'll be the first to stand up and say that most of whats out there is total crap... even some with some very reconizable names (Cummins / Onan). And we do tell our customers that. This is what people seem to want to buy though for around the home. I'd own a PTO generator without question.

Super Star Member
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by Ace3 View Post
    I know you're not going to like hearing this, but a PTO generator seems like a waste to me. During the last ice storm I was without power for 6 days. I ran my $400, 5 KW genreator conservatively and still put 50 hours on it. Why you want to put that many high rpm hours on your expensive tractor just sitting there is beyond me.
    Besides that The tractor is tied up so you can't use it for anything during the tied up hours.
    Tractors 2003 Kubota BX1500 / 2004 Kubota Bx23 / 2005 Kubota BX1500.
    Attachments 60'' Front Blade/48'' Rear Tiller/FEL/Back Hoe /
    60'' MMM/Clamp on Forks/48'' MMM
    South of Canton Ohio L .B

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast