CJ-4 Rated engine oils in Kubota Tractor

/ CJ-4 Rated engine oils in Kubota Tractor #1  

digdug1

Tractor
Kubota L3240
I pulled out the owners manual and it specifically states not to use CJ-4 rated eingine oil? This applies to all Grand L series tractors 3240 -5740. Here is the quote from my 2008 owners manual: "CJ-4 engine oil is intended for DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) type engines, and cannot be used on this tractor". I see many people are using CJ-4 rated oils. Can anyone comment on this?

/ CJ-4 Rated engine oils in Kubota Tractor #2  
I think you can use the cj4 rated oil but you should change it more often if you do not use ultra low sulfer fuel.

/ CJ-4 Rated engine oils in Kubota Tractor #3  
It might cost a little more but you would be better off using kubota oil and filters.

/ CJ-4 Rated engine oils in Kubota Tractor #4  
I pulled out the owners manual and it specifically states not to use CJ-4 rated eingine oil? This applies to all Grand L series tractors 3240 -5740. Here is the quote from my 2008 owners manual: "CJ-4 engine oil is intended for DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) type engines, and cannot be used on this tractor". I see many people are using CJ-4 rated oils. Can anyone comment on this?

What type of oil does it say to use? I have an L3830 and the manual doesn't mention that, but that was from 2004. My manual recomends 10W-30 in all temps, API Service Classification CD, CE, or CF. The newer classifications probably didn't exist then. I couldn't find 10-30 diesel oil anywhere but the Kubota dealer until Wally Mart started carrying Rotella in 10-30 in addition to 15-40. Lately I've been using the Rotella, and I just looked on the bottle. It is classified CJ-4 and down. The one jug I have left of Kubota oil is rated CI-4 and lower, but I would have assumed that it was just because it was older. That's getting pretty finicky if you can't use normal diesel-rated oil.

/ CJ-4 Rated engine oils in Kubota Tractor #5  

CJ-4 rated oils should not be used in solid camshaft/valve lifter engines, period. They are best saved for the on-road diesel engines designed for emission specs beginning in model year 2007. I doubt you will find any CURRENT off-road diesel engines specifying CJ-4, or any off-road OEM suppliers of it. It will come, however.

/ CJ-4 Rated engine oils in Kubota Tractor #6  
Hi, if you make a search "CJ4 oil" on TBN you will find what Kubota said to a question on this subject. It seems that CJ4 oils are not compatible with high sulfur fuel but compatible to ULS and LS fuels.

/ CJ-4 Rated engine oils in Kubota Tractor #7  
My Amsoil dealer said the oil doesn't last as long and isn't suggested for extended oil drains.

/ CJ-4 Rated engine oils in Kubota Tractor
The 2008 Grand L Series manual calls for CF or better rating excluding CJ-4. Specifically- CF, CF-4, CG-4, CH-4, or CI-4 (with the use of LS or ULS diesel). It you have high sulfur diesel it says to run CF only. Temp ranges are as follows:

Above 77 deg F= SAE30, 10W30, or 15W40
32 to 77 deg F= SAE 20, 10W30, or 15W40
Below 32 deg F= SAE 10, 10W30, or 15W40

It seems like all the good diesel oils have the CJ-4 rating?
Does anyone run Mobile 1 Synthetic or Valvoline Syn-Power?...they are both CF rated?

/ CJ-4 Rated engine oils in Kubota Tractor #9  
I am putting Mobil 1 5W40 Turbo Diesel in my BX25 this weekend for my 50 hour. I have decided on the 5W40 as the book calls for 15W40 but here where I live it is cold in the Winter and anything helps.

Cheers,

The 2008 Grand L Series manual calls for CF or better rating excluding CJ-4. Specifically- CF, CF-4, CG-4, CH-4, or CI-4 (with the use of LS or ULS diesel). It you have high sulfur diesel it says to run CF only. Temp ranges are as follows:

Above 77 deg F= SAE30, 10W30, or 15W40
32 to 77 deg F= SAE 20, 10W30, or 15W40
Below 32 deg F= SAE 10, 10W30, or 15W40

It seems like all the good diesel oils have the CJ-4 rating?
Does anyone run Mobile 1 Synthetic or Valvoline Syn-Power?...they are both CF rated?

/ CJ-4 Rated engine oils in Kubota Tractor #10  
Hi, if you make a search "CJ4 oil" on TBN you will find what Kubota said to a question on this subject. It seems that CJ4 oils are not compatible with high sulfur fuel but compatible to ULS and LS fuels.

I contacted Kubota this summer with the same question. If you do a search, you will see that I was told CJ-4 oils are perfectly fine for your diesel tractors. Kubota has not updated their manuals or web site to reflect the change. I was told it is just a matter of time (slow moving corporate issues) before this happens. CJ-4 is the newest spec. for diesel rated oils and is compatible with LSD and ULSD fuels. The oil change intervel is still the same. This really is no longer an issue and you should not be concerned about it. You will see that within a year ALL diesel oils will be a CJ-4 spec. CI spec oil is still avaiable but will shortly be out of stock since the CJ-4 spec replaces it.
I'm sure some will disagree with me, and that's fine. I did my homework and will stick with what the Kubota engineer told me over the phone.
We also discussed viscosity grades and he told me using 5w-40 Rotella or the 15w-40 Rotella (synthetic or otherwise) is fine for where I live (central Virginia).
Hope this helps......:)