L35 GST / power steering

/ L35 GST / power steering #1  

tgoodart

Tractor
Kubota L35
My L35 is slow to engage when I put it in gear and I loose my power steering. When I take it out of gear my power steering comes back. I have checked hydraulic fluid level and it is fine. All other hydraulic systems seem to work fine. Any suggestions on what could be causing this?

/ L35 GST / power steering #2  
Have you tried changing the filter? That could be the problem...

/ L35 GST / power steering #3  
TG,

Did it start this on it's own or was something done to the machine? The steering pump feeds the GST valve and there is a check valve poppet in the valve inlet that if missing could give this kind of a symptom.

Of course I would check the fluid as well like FTC suggests but if it is only in this one circuit and no one has worked on the GST valve, I think you should have a look at the check valve.

/ L35 GST / power steering
I have checked the hydraulic fluid level and it is fine. I have less than 200 hours on the fluid and filter. This just started happening on its own, I was driving down the road and when I went to shift into a higher gear it started. If I push in the clutch or take it out of gear I get my power steering back. I will check the check valve once I get out of the snow.

/ L35 GST / power steering #5  
TG,

The check valve is a poppet (like a bullet shape) where the steel pipe goes into the GST valve on the LH side of the transmission - about under the LH footrest.

The fitting is a banjo type as I remember.

I had one other thought as I was writing this - the steering pump has a priority flow divider on the top of it - short pipes connect it to the priority flow divider - that spool will have an orifice in it that has to be open or the spool will be moved open and send flow to the GST and PTO valves downstream.

If the poppet on the valve inlet does not prove out, look at the priority flow divider on top the steering pump.

Good luck - let us know if either / neither is right.

/ L35 GST / power steering #6  
Just a thought but could the position of the directional valve lever for the pto and backhoe cause the problem? If the backhoe is mounted and the valve lever was bumped so it's halfway between backhoe and pto setting, could the flow be split and trying to feed steering, glide shift, pto and backhoe all at the same time?

/ L35 GST / power steering #7  
TG,

I looked at a schematic finally and I would bet you the check valve is sticking open.

Good luck!

/ L35 GST / power steering
Fixed the problem, unfortunately it cost me $3150 for the repair. Turned out the clutch pack went and needed to be repaired. 2nd large repair job on this tractor.:mad:

/ L35 GST / power steering #9  
Fixed the problem, unfortunately it cost me $3150 for the repair. Turned out the clutch pack went and needed to be repaired. 2nd large repair job on this tractor.:mad:

That's an expensive clutch job. :( I hope there isn't any more issues for many years...
Did it wear out or did something break/fail prematurely? What was the other large repair you had to do? (how many hours on the meter?)

Best of luck Tim