Anyone mounted a trailer hitch ball on FEL?

/ Anyone mounted a trailer hitch ball on FEL? #1  

Tdog

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX22
I just bought a 16' tamdem trailer to haul my BX-22. I want to move it around my place with the tractor - - anyone mounted a ball to your FEL?

I've attached a photo of the trailer. It's a Lone Wolf Trailer. No electric brakes, but I'm not planning on any major hauling.

Thanks,

Jack

Attachments

• P2280006.JPG
    P2280006.JPG
    249.6 KB · Views: 4,716
   / Anyone mounted a trailer hitch ball on FEL? #2  
T dog,

There are a number of ways you can do this...

There are manufacturers who make bucket clamps that have 2" receivers for a ball set up like one you would use on your truck...

drill a hole in the bucket and drop a ball in....

A rear drawbar on the 3 pt hitch (with a stabilizer) for a 2" receiver,

or do like i did and weld a ball to my rear grader blade.

I find moving the trailer with the bucket, unwieldly, as the bucket clamps flex the bucket and tends to bounce alot... not to mention its hard to see the ball when trying to hook up.

Systems on the rear are easier, to back up and use the 3 point to move the trailer.

Some have even mounted balls on the edge of thier back hoe frame, near the stabilizers to move trailers...

Attachments

• Picture 088.jpg
    Picture 088.jpg
    814.5 KB · Views: 1,641
   / Anyone mounted a trailer hitch ball on FEL? #3  
Read this thread through before you consider the clamp-on type hitch receiver. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/safety/117762-paynes-hitch-receiver.html

I have come to understand how these receivers work a lot better than when I bought mine, and from the picture it looks like your land is flat, so you may not have the same issue I had.

If you can use the clamp-on type, they are very convenient. I didn't have the same issue as Firefighter did, in fact having the ball on the front bucket was nearly ideal for me. OTOH I have a fairly big machine, and bucket flex was no problem.

/ Anyone mounted a trailer hitch ball on FEL? #4  
Tdog-- I shamelessly copied another TBNer's method: weld a receiver to the top edge of the bucket- with an offset ball, visibility is fine, though Firefighter Kubota's point about being tricky on the front is well taken- takes a bit of getting used to! (As all of my stuff is fairly small, I used a 1-1/4" receiver.)

There's a good thread on this if you do a search.

Attachments

• FEL hitch rcvr.JPG
    FEL hitch rcvr.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 3,458
  • FEL hitch.JPG
    FEL hitch.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 2,856
   / Anyone mounted a trailer hitch ball on FEL? #5  
I like the ball welded on the rear blade...quick/simple....wish that had popped into my head.

I just bought the parts to put on my bucket.

First option in just the receiver tube welded in place of where the hook is now. I have a straight ball to go in (no drop). Doing this, I would still have to add hooks or D rings for the lifting straps.

The other option (part) that I have, is to weld on the "bolt on receiver hitch" for a step bumper. What I would actually do is weld on a wider plate on the bucket and drill the appropriate holes in it and bolt the receiver down. Might give more options if I am able to remove it later. Also has the safety chain holes in place and gives me some options on adding hooks and/or D rings.

I may actually work on it this week:rolleyes: I'll try to get some pictures of the mock up- posted today.

/ Anyone mounted a trailer hitch ball on FEL? #6  
I put one on the rear of my box blade as well.... Sure makes life real easy when moving things fast.

/ Anyone mounted a trailer hitch ball on FEL? #7  
I guess its all about preferences here. Since I have a BX, I think there would be too much flex on the bucket with a clamp on so I ended up building a 3pt hitch mover instead, more convenience for me.

Attachments

• 3 pt welded trailer hitch.jpg
    3 pt welded trailer hitch.jpg
    752.7 KB · Views: 2,005
   / Anyone mounted a trailer hitch ball on FEL? #8  
I welded a receiver hitch to mine and made my own 3 pt unit for moving trailers around from front or back of tractor.

Attachments

• 100_0634 [640x480].JPG
    100_0634 [640x480].JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 2,900
  • R4's.jpg
    R4's.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,559
   / Anyone mounted a trailer hitch ball on FEL?
Thanks all. I ruled out placing the hitch on a rear/box blade simply because I usually wear my BH. I like the idea of the receiver tube welded to the top of the FEL - - only trouble is I am not a welder. However, now I can at least trailer my BX to a shop to have it done.

Thanks,

Jack

/ Anyone mounted a trailer hitch ball on FEL? #10  
Thanks all. I ruled out placing the hitch on a rear/box blade simply because I usually wear my BH. I like the idea of the receiver tube welded to the top of the FEL - - only trouble is I am not a welder. However, now I can at least trailer my BX to a shop to have it done.

Thanks,

Jack

Jack, Some had some great pics of thier BH with a ball mounted on it. was a really great set up and he loved it. I recall him placing a bracket to the rear and side to the stabilizers...wish I had a name for you..sorry..