Chain and Binder - general tie down question

/ Chain and Binder - general tie down question #1  

Chris86303

Tractor
in the process of buying
I'm getting a B3200 TLB with thumb and loaded tires. Roughing it out and allowing for the subframe and loaded tires I'm figuring it will weigh around 4000 to 4500 lbs., (1500 tractor, 1000 BH & subframe, 1000 FEL and frame = 3500 plus loaded tires and thumb).. close to 4500 lbs I'm thinking.

I'm used to hauling ATV and Harley's with straps, so chains and binders are new to me. I looked on the internet and also at Home Depot for chains. I'm in Arizona so salt and corrosion aren't a problem. I won't be hauling it much but if I do the nearest service is about 70 miles away with a couple of 7 mile 6% grade hills in between (4 lane divided freeway).

I read the Federal Tie Down laws. I don't mind overkill so I'm safe but I don't want to be stupid about it. I haven't checked my AZ DOT regs but I will before I haul it. My main question is about chain grades and binders.

Trailer will be a flatbed 7000 lb with electric brakes and I have a 2WD Ford Expedition EL with a tow capacity of just under 9000 lbs, with all tow equipment and load leveling shocks.

So.. my question is, what would be the best grade chain to get. From my research I see that 3/8 inch grade 43 has a WLL of 5400 lbs. and 5/16 grade 43 has a WLL of 3900 lbs or 5/16 inch grade 70 has a WLL of 4700 lbs.

My thinking is to get the stronger grade 70 chain but thinner 5/16 because it would be easier to work with than the heavier 3/8 inch grade 43.

Does this make any sense or am I looking at it totally wrong. From the Federal DOT regulations any one of these will hold a 5000 lb load from forward movement, the heavier grade only requiring one chain on the rear, but I would use one on each corner, so I would definitely be in the safe range with any one of the grades.

Even dropping to grade 30 would only require 2 chains (one on each corner) to keep a 5000 lb load from moving forward per Fed DOT. Or moving up to 70 grade I would be safe with 1/4 inch chain which has a WLL of 3150 lbs so two would suffice even with 1/4 inch chain since it would have 4 tie down points, one on each of the 4 corners.

I have plenty of straps, heavy ones, but I don't want to use them, I would feel much safer with chains and binders. A strap over the bucket or across the BH is fine but all corners would be chain.

Also, when it comes to binders and the ones I've had experience with in the past I never liked load level binders. It seems like you could get a much better tie down using ratchet binders. Any thoughts on this issue.

Does anyone have a good source for chains and binders on the internet that they've purchased from. As I said Home Depot has 3/8 inch grade 43 and 30 but not grade 70, which is rated as "Transport" grade by Fed DOT.

Sorry for the long winded post. I've read most of the hauling and tie down posts on the threads. Some argue straps, some chains and binders but none mention anything about chain grades, working load limits or binders.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

/ Chain and Binder - general tie down question #2  
Chris,
This is only my opinion but I say you can use grade 43 3/8" chain or grade 70 5/16" chain. You'll probably get a lot of responses not to use grade 43 but it does exceed the WLL of your load. A lot of people use it. Some will tell you you have to have grade 70 or better. I disagree and say as long as The chain WLL exceeds your load you meet the requirement for load securement. This info is according to the local DOT in my state who have inspected my grade 43 chain on at least two occasions. I have both grade 43 and 70 chain and use both depending on the equipment I'm hauling. Please check with your state dept. of transportation for equipment securement rules.
You are also correct that your load only requires two chains as does mine but I always use 4 chains (one each corner with ratchet binders). Some would call that overkill but I'd rather use four chains over two any day.

/ Chain and Binder - general tie down question #3  
Let me pose one question; is your tractor worth the difference in price between the grade 43, general use...i.e. logging chain, and the grade 70 transport chain?

If you feel that your tractor and it's attachments isn't worth the $50 or so difference in price, then I'd get the grade 43. Actually, no I wouldn't. Metallurgy is specific to use. Grade 43 does not have the specific characteristics specifically needed in transporting equipment and loads. Grade 43 is made for dragging logs out of the woods and such. Grade 70 is made and specifically designed for transport.

I can put a nice 9' heavy duty snow plow on the front of a 1/2 ton pickup. It will work and I can clear snow with it. However, it is not recommended nor rated to do such a chore. It's basically the same thing with chain. Why buy the wrong grade of chain when you know what the correct grade for your intended use is?

The internet is full of pictures of people doing things that make them candidates for a Darwin Award. Some of these things are quite stupid, like the 5th wheel hitch in the bed of a guy's truck made out of lumber. Yup, he was hauling his 32' travel trailer with it. When his 'great idea' comes loose I hope some innocent family driving the opposite direction doesn't pay the ultimate price for his stupidity. I got very lucky when I had the tie downs break holding my tractor to my trailer a few years ago. I thought I was safe because what I was using supposedly was rated to hold what I was hauling but it didn't.

I wouldn't use binding equipment not rated for the job if it were given to me free now. When there is a correct tool for the job I see no reason to not use the correct tool when the potential down side is huge. Good luck.

And, for the record, I don't think it is ever correct to use only 2 chains to haul a tractor. I've had DOT officers from more than one state tell me that a tractor requires the proper chain and binder on each corner and each implement is required to be secured separately with another binder or strap.

/ Chain and Binder - general tie down question #4  
I use 4-10' pieces of 5/16" G70 chain and ratchet binders for a load similar to yours, that 3/8" chain is a bear to work with!

/ Chain and Binder - general tie down question #5  
Chris you only need chain with a WLL of 1125 ft lbs rigged on all four corners of a 4500 pound load to be compliant with any engineering standard and that kind of weight under 10,000 pounds the DOT could care less. Think about it if you put 1125 pounds of brute force on any one part of the B3200 ( Except axles and weldments greater then 1/4" thick) you would distort them or pull them apart enough to wish you hadn't tied it down that way to trailer.
The important thing often not discussed is the tie down points on the trailer. Make sure your fasterners are rated for the pull and if using D-rings fastened to a wood deck make sure the D-rings meet or exceed single line pull of your WLL and that the wood is sound and the backing plate distributes the stress through a section modulus large enough to not pull through the wood decking. Chocking the wheels in place on the tailer with four point binding is a safe secure load. Don't exceed any limits and built in safety factors will protect your investment for years to come....

/ Chain and Binder - general tie down question #6  
Chris if you have a Tractor Supply Co. (TSC) in your area they will have what ever type of chain you decide on. Me, I use 3/8 Grade 70 plus a binder on each corner of the tractor. I could probably get by with smaller chain but I never know what might go on the trailer in the future. It wasn't much more money and for as little as I tow it isn't that much more hassle working with 3/8 chain.

MarkV

/ Chain and Binder - general tie down question #7  
Any possible laws aside...doesnt common sense say that more opportunities for failure (murphy's law) occur when more variables are introduced. I am refering to 4 binders instead of two. We know that the cam type binders can release and ratchet type threads wear plus the 4 more hooked points.

I feel comfortable hooking up the back with chains only, leave machine in N and bind down the front. Again possible laws aside.

If an engineer looked at a 4 corner binder setup and ran a DFMEA, the back binders would be scratched.

/ Chain and Binder - general tie down question #8  
Yeah, I'm going thru the same thing now with my first equipment trailer, It is a little overkill but the 3/8 chain and binders are pretty much industry standard.

Grade 70 chain and rated binders are good for 6600lbs Working Load Limit, that's the entire weight of your tractor and trailer. That's with a 4x safety rating, now multiply that by 4 corners and you should be able to roll the rig off a cliff and not have them separate!

Best source for chains and binders is AWdirect

Load Binders

Get one of their catalogs sent to you.

Good luck, JB.

Attachments

• DSCN3411.JPG
    DSCN3411.JPG
    998 KB · Views: 5,526
   / Chain and Binder - general tie down question
Thanks everyone for the great comments and suggestions. I'm in a location that doesn't have much of anything for this type of equipment (chains/binders etc) so the internet seems like my only outlet. Thanks JB4310 for the internet link.

I know a couple guys in the construction business around here so I think I will call them and see where they get their chains and binders for the full sized BH's. I think I will stick with the 70 grade chain and ratchet binders with straps over FEL/BH for long hauls. I won't be moving it much but when I need to I want to be ready.

Thanks again !!!

/ Chain and Binder - general tie down question #10  
AWdirect has pretty good prices and an excellent selection, they do a huge mail order business, 99%, I happen to live in the next town so I just go there so I can touch the stuff.

They have premade grade 70 chains with clevis grab hooks, a 15' 3/8" pc is $58. you could cut that in half and get 2 more clevis hooks at $10. each, then you'd have 2 - 7.5' chains with hooks for $40. each. 7.5' should be more than enough for one corner of your setup.
Grade 70 Pre-Made Chain w/ Clevis Grab Hooks - 4,700 lb. WLL - 5/16 in. x 10 ft. - Mfg# 11516G710

They have rated binders for the grade 70 chain for $38.00
Alloy Ratchet Load Binder for 5/16" Grade 40, 70, 80, 100 Chain & 3/8" Grade 40, 70 Chain - Mfg# LDR3810

So that's $80. per corner and then you don't have to worry about it, you can use that HD chain for other tasks and will last 2 lifetimes. not sure about the shipping costs but call and ask them, they ship everywhere everyday so they must get decent rates?

I should follow my own advise, I'm trying to use all these old unrated chains I have, mixed with new hooks and new and old binders, I've been pulling my hair out for 2 days now, I've given myself a headache :(

JB.