Kubota ZD 221

/ Kubota ZD 221 #1  

johndeere1kubota2

Tractor
John Deere 990
Good day all. I have the new ZD 321 diesel/ 54". I am happy with all the features but the engine seems to be a little sluggish in 6" bahia mowing, dry grass. It bogs down when you turn and push both control levers forward and you have to let the blades catch up. I looked at the new ZD 221 and it does not have the heavy transmission and weight of the 321. I think the 321 transmission and weight issue hurt the 21 hp diesel engine. Has anyone test drove the zd 221. Thanks.

/ Kubota ZD 221 #3  
do you have the throttle turned up? I've seen many people trying to mow at idle..not saying you are one of them, just something to check.

/ Kubota ZD 221
Thanks for the recommendation's guy's. I am running the throttle wide open and the cutting height was 2 1/2" at the time. I am a Detroit Diesel mechanic by trade on the offshore drilling platforms and knew the engine should be producing more torque at the rated horsepower. I returned the unit to the dealer and they found the problem to be in the hydraulic system. Seems like they said the brakes were also dragging causing the power loss. Anyway, I have to repair enough stuff at work so I left this one for the dealer. They made the necessary adjustments and now she is operating much better. Thanks............