Storing a B26 in a sea container

/ Storing a B26 in a sea container
I just got off the phone with the vendor who sold me a 20 ft standard container. A high cube is $3100 US which is a bit more than I wanted to pay. I'll stick with the standard container and if my B26 is too high and won't fit it will only be by an inch or so. I'll deflate the tires to get it in and then re-inflate them. It may also help to deter anyone trying to steal it if it won't fit through the door :D

/ Storing a B26 in a sea container #12  
I paid $1300 delivered for the 40 x 8 x 8 four years ago and $2300 for the high cube 45 x 9.5 x 8 that I am using now. No big deal, just put the rops down

Well my container arrived and I'm in the process of building a hip roof over it and installing vinyl siding. Both are really for cosmetic reasons and to keep the neighbours quiet.

I did a few modifications to the sea container. First off I asked the driver to drop it on to 8" X 8" to keep the container off the ground. We have heavy snow fall where I am so having that extra eight inches will make it easier to open the doors in the winter. I then cut one large (12" X 12") vent hole in the side and covered the hole on the outside with a commercial plastic vent and on the inside with a security screen. I also installed two windows on one side and a 34" door at the far end of the container. I also plan to install cut four roof vents that will lead into the ventilated attic to keep condensation down.

I was really antsy to see if my B26 would fit. Width was no problem but it was the door sill clearance that was giving me fits. I had conflicting dimension all the way from having lots of clearance to having the tractor not fit at all:eek:

I carefully drove in and, with my wife watching the clearance, got it into the container with all of about 1/16" between the FOPS and the door sill. Now my tractor has 300 hours on it and the tires may be worn down a bit but it fit. Plan B was to deflate the tires down to the tractor would lower enough to fit but I didn't have to do that that. So a B26 WILL fit into a standard height container. I had my alarm system extended to the container but watch where the tech installs the door contacts. Normally they are installed at the very end of the door (in this case in the centre of the contailer door opening) but if your tech does that, the contact will get ripped off the first time you drive the tractor in.

When I get pictures of the finished shed I'll post them. Thanks to everyone who contributed their thoughts, it was much appreciated. :)

Attachments

• B26 1.jpg
    B26 1.jpg
    589.8 KB · Views: 848
  • B 26 2.jpg
    B 26 2.jpg
    675.6 KB · Views: 379
Well, I'm almost done finishing my sea container. After the wettest summer on record I'm down to a few pieces of soffit. :) My B26 fits it but just barely. One wet morning I drove it in and the top sill of the container wiped the FOPS dry :eek:. Side to side there's lots of space it's just the height that's tight.

I really didn't have to finish the outside but I have some problem neighbours would would go out of their way to complain to the city permits department. Anyway, here's what she looks like.

Attachments

• Seacan during 3.jpg
    Seacan during 3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,750
   / Storing a B26 in a sea container #16  
Thought about doing the same here in Albetrta to store the toys over winter. It would make for a more secure shelter with a nice solid floor The local companies here want C$2500 inclusive of delivery.That is for a 20Ft. unit.

I think I will build my own extension from a Totem kgarage kit. and cover that in stell to match the other building on the farm.

/ Storing a B26 in a sea container #17  
That's a shipping container ? :eek:

Wow, awesome job.

/ Storing a B26 in a sea container #18  
That's a shipping container ? :eek:

Wow, awesome job.

Yes, that is indeed a nice job. If I didn't know there was a steel container inside, it would be impossible to tell. Makes for a very tasteful looking shed.
I see the surveilance camera on the shed roof. Is it a truely functional one or a just for looks one ?
Does your area really have a crime rate that warrants such measures ?
I feel very fortunate, I seldom ever take the key out of mine and when I do it usually stays hidden within the operators area.

Thanks for the comments. It took a lot more work than I though and to be honest, I'm getting sick of putting up siding!

The camera, well I'll neither confirm nor deny it's a real camera inside the housing :rolleyes:

The crime rate isn't all that high but police response times can vary from five minutes to, well sometime in this decade. You can't really stop someone **** bent on stealing something but deterrence and layers of security will slow them down. I'm a security professional and I know if you can't deter them (the camera, alarm stickers and security lights) then good locks will sure slow them down.:cool:

/ Storing a B26 in a sea container #20  
Hello Lakeside

That shed looks great, just what I need!

Can you share a picture of the door end? What did you do with the door? Just paint it?

How did you attached the siding to the steel box?

Thanks
Jeff