thumb attachment to my 66" hvy duty round back bucket

/ thumb attachment to my 66" hvy duty round back bucket #1  

mark2610d

Silver Member
Tractor
L3240HSTC
I have the 66" round back heavy duty kubota bucket on my 724 loader. I would like to put a thumb type grapple attachment on the bucket. The bucket is built very very heavy duty.

Just wondering if anyone has mounted a thumb to heavy duty round back bucket?

Do you think my bucket is good to go with out extra reinforcment?

/ thumb attachment to my 66" hvy duty round back bucket #2  
I think it depends on what type of grapple that is used. I have a Kubota 72" roundback HD bucket and it is stout. I will be mounting a base to the bucket for the grapple since the leading edge at the top is round and doesnt give you a good place to mount the grapple. I will be using a light duty grapple on a LA703 loader attached to a L4400 HST. I havent decided which brand or to even fab it myself. If Iwere going to use a HD grapple I may stiffen the top of the bucket up a bit.

/ thumb attachment to my 66" hvy duty round back bucket #3  
I am in the process of attaching a greens-machine thumb to a round back bucket(Kubota 854 loader)I will post pictures later ,but basicley what I am doing is welding on 3/8 by 4 flat plate on top of the round and braceing back to the bucket.The nuts will be welded to the bottom of the plate.

/ thumb attachment to my 66" hvy duty round back bucket #4  
I have the 66" round back heavy duty kubota bucket on my 724 loader. I would like to put a thumb type grapple attachment on the bucket. The bucket is built very very heavy duty.

Just wondering if anyone has mounted a thumb to heavy duty round back bucket?

Do you think my bucket is good to go with out extra reinforcment?

I have the same bucket on my LA723. I had the ATI 4866 grapple installed on mine. The ATI unit has brackets bolted on the end plates with a tube that spans the bucket. At the time I got my grapple there was not a lot of choice and the ATI was the most reasonable.

The heavy duty bucket is just that. I believe the the upper edge(tubing) is plenty stout to support a grapple but I would put a 5/16 or 3/8 doubler to stiffen the sheet metal of the bucket.

Vernon

/ thumb attachment to my 66" hvy duty round back bucket #5  
This is a greens-machine thumb attatched to a kubota round back bucket.
28 inch model.Bucket is for an 854 loader on a L4240.

Attachments

• 100_0821 (Small).jpg
    100_0821 (Small).jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 204
  • 100_0825 (Small).jpg
    100_0825 (Small).jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 225
  • 100_0827 (Small).jpg
    100_0827 (Small).jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 297
   / thumb attachment to my 66" hvy duty round back bucket #6  
I also have the ATI single cylinder grapple mounted on my 723 FEL, mounted as TexBaylea describes. I primarily use it to hold logs in place during transport, and find that it works very well when picking up brush and other debris.

/ thumb attachment to my 66" hvy duty round back bucket
Great pictures!! My 66" round back bucket is made a little different than your round back for your 854 loader. My top round edge is almost perfectly flat with the 3/8" bracing plate that welds to the round front edge. That being said I think I can fab a 1/2" plate 5-1/2" x24" and mount it to the factory 3/8" plate while laping over the round edge.

I just got my thumb from greens machine today and boy is it heavy duty!!

I for now will be using my rear remote for operating the grapple. Future plans are a true third fuction electric over hydraulic valve with joy stick along with quick disconnects.

I will post install pictures tomorrow if all goes well. Now if I can just get to sleep and stop thinking about all the uses I will have for my new toy..... :)

/ thumb attachment to my 66" hvy duty round back bucket #8  
Make sure everything is where you want it before you weld solid.Tack up and install the all the thumb parts.Mine was the third version.I wanted the thumb to grip the bottom of the bucket.I had the third function valve already installed,if you run from the rear;check fluid levels after installation. Good luck with it.